Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

One Of God's Little Digs

Remember how just before we left on vacation Ginny had applied for a promotion but was turned down and a political appointee from outside was given the job?

Well yesterday was the appointee’s very first day in the office.

Yesterday was also the day when everyone in the office drew names out of a hat and the person whose name you drew is the person you buy a nice Christmas gift for.

Can you guess whose name Ginny drew?

You’re right!

Ginny is to buy a nice gift for the outside appointee who bumped her from the promotion.

Doesn’t that situation just cause the Christmas spirit to well up inside you?

As Ginny and I talked about the situation we decided that this may be one of God’s little digs to remind us to concentrate on making our way toward Heaven rather than making our way on earth.

“But I want it both ways,” Ginny said.

I sympathize.

I find her situation distressing because years ago I found myself facing a similar dilemma, the big boss at work brought in a guy just released from prison and gave him a job I wanted. And to top that off, about that time folks from Kairos, a prison visitation ministry, recruited me as a volunteer for a one year commitment.

You might enjoy reading a little piece about my experience, The Elder Brother's Side Of The Story. My tale is not related to the holidays but it reflects the Christmas Spirit around the Cowart house tonight.

For some reason the graphic shows up in Mozilla but not in Internet Explorer so if you can’t see it, it’s just a picture of a guy frowning. I’ll try to post it here:


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:58 AM

2 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Of all the dumb luck... poor Ginny!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Here are a some gift ideas for Ginny to consider:

several lumps of dried dog poo

plastic barf and a whoopie cushion

a jumbo-sized package of laxative suppositories

a pack of condoms, size Extra Small

 

Post a Comment

<< Home