Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, December 04, 2005

Donald Gave Me This New Computer

Saturday evening Donald and Helen came over bringing me a new computer. It is less than a third the size of my old one but four times as fast and has four times the memory. That means I can generate four times the mistakes that I made on the old computer.

Inside the old computer, two of the cooling fans wobbled on their bearings making a buzzing sound. Donald decided that instead of replacing these bearings, it would be better for me to have a new computer system.

So he bought me this new one and spent a couple of hours installing and testing it. It cost a bundle but for some reason he thinks it worth the investment to keep me writing on line. I appreciate his confidence and his gift.

This came at a time when again I was thinking of throwing in the towel. Thinking in terms of an end-of-the-year financial statement, I’ve landed on someone else’s Boardwalk – with a hotel!

So from that standpoint, the game is not worth the candle.

However, financial considerations are not the only factor. My writing does bring me a certain amount of satisfaction, and a few people do seem to find it helpful.

If it were a case of being called by God to this task, then there would be no question but that I’m to continue, but I have never felt any particularly calling to do anything. One job seems to be the same as another. The Lord seems to say, “Go outside and play” and He doesn’t much care if I play football or baseball as long as I play fair and don’t squabble with my playmates.

But writing is what I do and Donald’s gift will certainly help me do it better.
Problem is, that now I have no excuse for not producing. I’ve got this high-tech straw and now I should buckle down and churn out bricks like crazy.

After Donald and Helen set up this new system --Did I tell you it has chrome trim and, like a new car, it’s so quiet that I can’t tell when the motor is running? – After they installed the system, we all went out to a Chinese buffet. Much of our table conversation revolved around how to pray for somebody you don’t like.

For instance there’s this one guy, whom I consider to be walking garbage, who has recently been diagnosed with an illness which carries a minimal survival rate. I know he’s hurting. I know he needs comfort. I feel he needs salvation. I know he’s scared and upset… Yet, when he comes to mind in my prayers, I’m likely to think, It’s about time for the world to be rid of this sleazy trash.

Ginny and the kids say that while my feelings are real and it’s ok to “complain to the Management”, yet the very fact that I’m aware that my judgmental attitude is unacceptable and that I do try to consciously re-adjust my prayer to request good things for X’s benefit, then I’m on the right track.

As the Bible says, “The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet”.

I’m so thankful for my family; they constantly show me what it is to live Christian instead of just write about it.

And, as for X, well perhaps there will be a need for garbage men in Heaven; somebody has to sweep up those golden streets. The most honest prayer I can muster up for X is that I hope he gets the job.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:59 AM

2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Congrats on your new system! Now don't let the pressure block your talent!

I still have a problem praying for people I don't like. I know it's so selfish, and it makes me feel so terrible to feel that way. I also have an issue asking God to forgive people who hurt me... there's this spoiled little kid in me that doesn't WANT them to be forgiven until I'm ready to forgive them myself.

Wow -- that was cathartic, without MSG. Cool.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Donald and Helen are Santa and Mrs. Claus to you this Christmas. How wonderful!
As for praying for bad people, it is a difficult thing.
I guess they will reap what they have sown. I would find it hard to pray for someone I find to be dispicable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home