Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Monday, August 29, 2005

Stormy Thoughts

Fixed plumbing. Met Donald’s new girl for lunch with Jennifer, Pat and Eve. New girl was lost in the Cowart hive. I think meeting us as a group may have overwhelmed her. She’s a Jacksonville native and a graphic artist.

I’ve been at a loss about how to pray concerning Hurricane Katrina which approaches New Orleans this morning. The tv news shows long lines of people walking into the superdome for shelter and I wonder how many of them will be alive tomorrow.

A couple of random thoughts:

1. -- Nothing against New Orleans, but I’m thankful it’s them in the hurricane’s path instead of us. That’s not a very Christian attitude, is it? But whenever a storm approaches here, I can’t help but pray it will hit somebody else instead.

2. -- There is no reason it could not be Jacksonville.

3. --A natural phenomena, hurricanes are necessary for the earth’s replenishment.

4. – God controls the path of the storm and for His own reasons He directs it this way instead of that. I can pray that many frightened people will think of Him and call on Him for mercy; but I can’t picture such devastation as an evangelism tool.

5. I can’t see this hurricane as a punishment for sin; there is nothing that goes on in New Orleans that does not go on within walking distance from my house. So why them instead of us -- this time?

6. – Ginny & I trained as Red Cross volunteers a few years ago but dropped out after training. I wonder if we perhaps should have stuck with their program.

7. From the photos I see of life in a shelter, I’m so claustrophobic I don’t think I could stand being with that many people in any confined space.

I subscribe to a free e-mail devotional service which Donald put together and this morning’s readings seem appropriate for today. Oddly enough, I think the Daily Light selections were prepared over 50 years ago; the Spurgeon selections are over a hundred years old.

Here is a section from Daily Light (It could be from the morning news):

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. — It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes. — The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.

The reading from Spurgeon touches me on a more personal level::

The best of men are conscious above all others that they are men at best.
Empty boats float high, but heavily laden vessels are low in the water; mere professors can boast, but true children of God cry for mercy upon their unprofitableness.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 11:06 AM

2 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Robin said...

It's been so very encouraging to read blogs this afternoon and see how many people are offering up prayers, lighting candles, or meditating. Here's a good prayer, courtesy of my brother-in-law:
http://www.sacramentswholesale.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I feel so badly for all those in the path of this terrible storm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home