Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sometimes I think I See Too Much Religion

Breakfast at Dave’s Diner Tuesday with my friend Wes, who is a nurse at a world-renowned hospital. We talked mostly about medical stuff, especially some tests I face, living wills, and coding.

I liken my tests to taking your car to a mechanic and saying, “It’s running fine; but put it on your diagnostic machine and see if you can’t find something wrong with it”.

“My motto is If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It – the medical community on the other hand feels sure that if they test enough, they’ll find something somewhere to “fix”.

Enjoyed .a Chinese lunch with my friend Barbara at Silver Star. I have eaten so much Chinese food that I’m shaped like Buddha.

Barbara says that at the retirement home where she lives death comes in clusters; they’ll go for months with no one dying then several will pass away within days of each other. She appears in much better health and can go for a ways without the help of her walker now.

Both Wes and Barbara are Christians and thoughts of Christ underlie our conversations whatever the overt subject.

Ginny & I saw a bumper sticker: If You Die Tonight Will You Be In Heaven Or In Hell?

Ginny said, “If we died tonight, we’ll still be in debt”!

Today Donald reestablished a free daily e-mail devotional service. The site offers two selections: Daily Light, a topical selection of Bible verses, and Charles Spurgeon’s Devotions. Spurgeon, an 18th Century preacher in London, was the Billy Graham of his generation. If you could use a lift at the start or finish of each day, sign up for one or both of these devotionals. The devotional web address is: www.rdex.net/devotions.php

I’ve been hanging around religious stuff far too much.

It even influences my vision.

As you may know I have the start of macular degeneration which fuzzes some of the things I see.

This morning as Ginny and I dressed for work, I mentioned my holy underwear. She thought I was referring to briefs with holes in them but, although I do have a few pairs of those, I was referring to the ones that have these initials printed around the waistband – PTL PTL PTL PTL For ages I’ve thought the cloth was manufactured by some religious group with poor taste. I think the catch–phrase motto Praise The Lord is not in great taste on bumper stickers, much less printed on a man’s jockeys!

Ginny looked at the underwear in question and started laughing. She explained that the initials are FTL FTL FTL – standing, of course for Fruit Of The Loom!

I feel disillusioned.

My faith is shattered.

Maybe an eye exam is called for.

(Ginny says that I should consider what kind of fruit I am producing!)


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 3:56 AM

6 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Have you read Gray's Anatomy, by Spaulding Gray? They have it on video too, him performing it.

It's about eye problems as well as problems with overall "vision." Well worth setting your maculas on.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Robin said...

You two are priceless...really!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Cool Dad said...

That is way too classic, John. What is Ginny doing shopping at the Billy Graham section of the Wal-mart to get those undies. Very funny.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Praise the Lord for Fruit of the Loom!

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

You must have been devastated to learn the praise was not in the pants. But rejoice, and enjoy the fruit of the vine.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That is so funny! Found out today that Bump has been wearing his dad's contact on accident. Could be the problem, eh? See my blog for more:)

I appreciate your prayers for Bump so much more than I can articulate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home