Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, April 28, 2005

Great News, A Gracious Lady, An Odd Store, And Geeks In Heaven + announcement

Great News: I received word today that the Public Library System plans to order sixteen copies of Crackers & Carpetbaggers, my history of Jacksonville, Florida. They are also considering buying some copies of my science fiction novel, The Lazarus Projects.

Thank God!

My sales are increasing.

Watch out Stephen King.

I kept the car today and picked Johnny up early. We went for a leisurely breakfast at Whiteway Delicatessen. Sammy, the owner, said I can put up flyers for my Jax history book.

I’ve been preparing a photo album on statues in Jacksonville for the May update of www.cowart.info so I took Johnny to a lovely private garden that I’ve before only seen while driving past. He owns a digital camera and was taking pictures of a deer statue at a fountain in the garden.

The owner of the home, Janice saw us taking photos from the sidewalk and came out to talk with us.

She could not have been more gracious.

She explained that she and her husband have dedicated this garden to their daughter Sandy who died tragically five years ago. Sandy was a tv news writer.

Sandy’s Garden is one of the loveliest spots in Jacksonville and Janice invited us inside so Johnny could take more pictures.

I don’t know how to insert photos in this blog yet but I plan to post some of the photos in the statue album on cowart.info next week.

Next Johnny & I visited Eve at work and meet some of her co-workers. Johnny goes back to Maryland tomorrow and wanted to say good bye to her. He’s leaving early because his Amtrak experience coming down was so unpleasant that he plans to rent a car and drive himself back then turn in his train ticket for a refund.

After visiting Eve, we walked for hours around Shep’s, a unique discount store which sells everything from pianos to motor scooters. There for the first time I saw a skateboard engraved with Bible verses!

Johnny bought a shopping cart full of souvenirs for folks back home.

Donald came by for supper. He and John entered Geek Haven networking laptops with my computer and intensely solving some picture transfer problems or something. Afterwards they took off to Shep’s again and planned to spend the night at Donald’s apartment doing computer stuff.

At her work today Ginny led a meeting involving accounting procedures and she feels good about it. It should smooth out some glitches in the flow of money in some of the children’s programs. It seems as though in the midst of staff changes some jobs were not passed on and so have fallen through the cracks.

My e-friend Mile Morrell, webmaster for www.Sites Unseen, asked me to post this notice:

Memorial Day weekend, May 27th-29th, I am going to be part of a very special conference at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina . A "core" of about a dozen of us are seeking the Lord about forming an intentional house church community in the Durham area. We are hungry to know Christ, in the depths, and know Him with each other in the context of the city. We are having a conference to this end with author and church planter Gene Edwards. For full details on this conference, please see our site at http://epurpose.org


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 9:46 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home