Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Historic Shirt

Ever notice this handsome photo of me that is the avatar on my blog?

It shows me fiddling around as I built a model ship in a bottle — but the thing you should really notice is the historic shirt I am wearing.

I bought this shirt 37 years ago today — on July 20, 1969, at Sears in Indianapolis, Indiana. I still wear this historic shirt regularly.

When I bought it, the shirt was a bright red plaid; over the years, it’s faded a bit into more of a dull rust color.

Come to think of it, I’ve faded a bit myself.

I bought the shirt just minutes before the store closed that night. As I walked back from the Sears store toward the terminal where my truck was parked, people thronged the streets. Practically every business stayed open late and the owners had run extension cords out the door and set up television sets on the sidewalks.

Some private homes had televisions set out on the front porch. People clustered around each television set blocking the sidewalks and entrances to the stores.

I remember a gaggle of stripers in costume and patrons spilled out of one bar to watch Walter Cronkite’s news broadcast on the tv sets in an appliance store window across the street. Cronkite had been on the air for 27 continuous hours. He shouted, “Go Baby Go!” near the start of the program.

But now we were getting toward the climax and nobody wanted to miss it.

Everybody talked to each other as the tension mounted. Complete strangers gripped hands on the sidewalks.

Then, at 10:56 in the evening, the hatch opened and Commander Neil Armstrong climbed down the ladder to touch foot on the surface of the moon.

“That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind,” he said.

People in the streets of Indianapolis cheered and danced and slapped backs and hugged eachother in exhilaration. America Had Done It! We Reached The Moon! Apollo 11 was a success.

The rocket did not explode!

The landing module did not sink under the soft dust of the moon surface.

Our guys did not die.

They made it!

They made it!

Thank God, they made it!

I had the shirt I just bought still in the bag as I glad-handed a bunch of people on the sidewalk in front of a shoe store's tv. Jubilation! Eagle had landed. America was on the moon! America was on top of the world. Everyone was thrilled. Drinks were on the house.

I still wear my historic shirt. But not because I bought it on the same day America first landed on the surface of the moon. I still wear it because when I first tried it on, Ginny said, “That looks really nice on you”.

I treasured her compliment so I’ve worn this shirt ever since.

But I do remember the night I bought it.



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:07 AM

2 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Great story! Good memories of a great day in history, thanks for sharing.

My husband has some old shirts he hangs on to, I wonder if it has to do with some girl's comment...

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Val said...

What a fabulous story. Thanks, John!

More than for the reason of it being a historic occasion though, I applaud you for not throwing away something that still is serviceable and still looks good. And I'm sure your Ginny still thinks you look great in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home