Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, July 28, 2005

Blessed Are The Peacemakers For They Shall Be Called....

The man from down the street stomped up my next door neighbor’s drive hefting a wooden club as though he intended to brain somebody.

My computer faces the front window and I glanced up from working on my Glog manuscript just in time to see the irate gentleman. Just that glance showed that he was seething mad about something and he was loaded for bear.

None of my business, is it?

Besides, my next-door neighbor, a nurse, is not even home. I saw her leave for the hospital hours ago.

Nevertheless, I slipped on my shoes and walked outside to intervene in what looked like big trouble.

Mr. D--- stood at her back gate swinging his club over the fence while Felony, the nurse’s pit bull, danced and barked just out of reach.

“Gonna kill that damn dog,” Mr. D--- growled at me. “Bakrin’ all the damn time. Keepin’ me awake with that damn yapping”.

Now, having worked night shift myself I can sympathize with a man whose sleep has been disturbed at 10 a.m. But I also know that Felony is a good dog who hardly ever barks. Mr. D--- was not prepared to listen to any defense of the barking dog.

But I realized why Felony was barking: roofers were on top of a house across the street and the dog realized that these men did not normally belong in the neighborhood – especially on top of a house. So she sounded the alarm.

Mr. D--- calmed down when he saw that the roofers banging created as much noise as the dog’s barking. He was still not happy but he returned to his own home still hefting his club and muttering about calling animal control.

Feeling pious, I remembered a passage of Scripture, “Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called …".

But as he stalked away, I’m sure I heard Mr D--- call me a “Damn, inteferin’ son of a bitch”!


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:02 AM

4 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....
Poor guy, hope he gets some sleep and feels better
And I do hope his comment about you didn't hurt your feelings

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Robin said...

WAH! That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a gem!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Well, I understand his frustration too. I once broke my bedroom window with my fist while trying to make the dog shut up. I was so sleepy that I looked at the blood on my hand, thought screw it and went straight back to sleep. Working nights made me crazy. Literally.

What a nice guy you are for trying to help. I have a feeling your feelings are not too hurt? Most of us have been called worse and for lesser sins!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Just trying to pour oil on troubled waters of confrontation.
My first concern was for the dog. She's normally a good dog. I work about ten yards from where she stands at the fence and I did not hear her barking.

My next concern was for Mr. D... because if he had hit her with his club, she just may have jumped the fence (I've put her back in the neighbor's yard when she did that) and who know what a pissed off pit bull might do to him.

Besides, I couldn't swear to it but drink may have been a contributing factor in this confrontation between man and dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home