Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Walkin' and Prayin'

This morning, for the first time in ages, I took a prayer walk. As she leaves for work, Ginny drops me a mile or so down the road and I walk home praying for the homes I pass in the neighborhood, situations I know about, people who come to mind.

Problem is, this morning I walked more than prayed.

I noticed a dead cat in the road, a kid’s lost shoe, a new pothole, graffiti on a passing boxcar. Why is it easier for me to pay attention to such things than to God?

Well, when you can't see glory, pray about grime.

I try to link the things I see so they remind me to worship and talk with the Father about the concerns of my fellow man.

· That dead cat looked as though someone had deliberately cut its throat; Lord, please temper the cruelty loose in this world.

· That kid’s lost shoe; Lord, remember when our kids buried their shoes so they wouldn’t’ have to go to church and how we made them go barefoot? Well, help that kid’s parents not to feel as desperate and frantic as we did; help them know that You will provide whatever’s needed.

· The pothole; Lord, our city is a mess. The budget is shot to hell. Carpetbaggers and republicans control the government. Services are being cut back. Look upon Jacksonville with mercy and give us better leaders than we deserve.

· Graffiti on a boxcar: Lord, there are gangs of young men hanging out on the corner every night. Nothing to do. No place to go. No future. No hope. What, if anything, am I supposed to do about it? Please send them someone they will listen to.

Do I feel any different after my walk?

No.

But I’m glad I walked – except, now my feet hurt.

------
For Men Only (And Women Who Might Care)

On a slightly different note, there is a website every man ought to check out. Caution, this site takes a while to load; it does feature a young lady in less than formal wear; but it is really worth your while. It's called "Rachel Gets Fruity" at http://www.rachelgetsfruity.com/flash.html


.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 9:39 AM

4 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Robin said...

I used to do those prayer walks too. Somehow I always got too distracted, too quickly. Then I'd get mad at myself and go home.

Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to sit inside the air conditioning!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Ok. I am still amazed that your kids buried their shoes to get out of going to church. I hope my boys never think that one up !

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SORRY FOLKS:
Last night Donald tried to teach me how to write some html code. You see the results. I managed to loose all access to my own blog! (Except for this comment).

Either that or Bill Gates snuck into the house while I slept and hit my computer with an ax.

Never fear, Donald plans to come over Saturday and repair whatever it was that Bill or I did. The Blog will be up and running again then.

Meanwhile, maybe you'd like to read some of my regular website. Again, I'm sorry to disappoint you.

John Cowart,

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That sort of thing happens to me when I try to learn html too. Don't feel bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home