Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, May 27, 2005

John as a Modern Times movie critic

While everyone else seems to be caught up in the Star Wars craze, Ginny & I discovered an even greater movie last night.

At the library we checked out a DVD of Modern Times, a 1930s silent film written, directed, stared in and with a musical score written by Charlie Chaplin.

I have seldom been so gripped by a movie. At times I’d laugh till I cried and at times I was genuinely horrified, and at times I pitied the characters in their plight.

Oddly enough, this is the first full-length Charlie Chaplin film I’ve ever seen. For ages I’ve seen tiny excerpts here and there of this and that; and I’ve been told that Charlie Chaplin was a forerunner of modern comedians.

Ho Hum.

But on a whim we checked this out of the library, expecting the jerky silliness excerpts led me to expect. Instead, we ended up viewing one of the greatest films I’ve ever seen. It enthralled me.

Forerunner, hell! The guy outstrips anyone making movies today!


My main e-mail address is still shut down in the server switch. Donald is working to repair it (when he is not moaning over girlfriend troubles or playing computer games) so, as a temporary measure, if anyone wants to e-mail me I’ll check an alternate address at johnwcowart@hotmail.com

Posted on Friday 27 of May, 2005 [04:46:56]


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:31 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home