Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Saturday, May 14, 2005

I Had Other Plans

.
As a Christian, I want to be 100% at the disposal of Jesus Christ.

That’s a general religious sentiment which sounds perfectly reasonable and, I think, rather commendable. The problem is that when it comes to specifics, I balk.

For instance, yesterday my wife and I took the day off to spend some quality time together. And we did. After leisurely enjoying morning coffee in our garden watching birds building a nest; after lingering over breakfast at a favorite restaurant; after browsing in an antique store looking at beautiful artifacts we neither need nor can afford; after snuggling for an afternoon nap which we hoped would escalate – the phone rang.

Whenever the phone rings, Ginny says, “There’s someone with plans for our life”.

My plans were interrupted.

All week long my plans have been interrupted. Then the interruptions got interrupted. If, as the church folk constantly say, God has a wonderful plan for your life, why all these interruptions?

100% at the disposal of Jesus Christ, remember?

The mental picture I have is that of an arrow in smooth, powerful flight from bow to bull’s-eye following the plan of God. On the other hand, the experience I have is that of a sputtering balloon when you let it go without knotting off the end.

I thought following God’s will meant goal setting, walking the straight and narrow path with steadfast purpose and determination.

But could it be that it’s not a march that we’re on, but a dance that we’re in?

One step right, three steps left, twirl and bow and move forward and bend backward then step right again, circle left, move straight ahead – all following the One who leads the dance in a pattern which we on the floor barely perceive.

Perhaps the interruptions in my life are not interruptions at all, but steps in the great dance.

Sounds like a pretty picture?

Nevertheless, dance or no, somebody just stepped on my foot!


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 10:09 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home