Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, February 26, 2010

A 90-Year-Old Dying Man

Please Note: Over the next few days I am changing this site. The address will stay the same, but I have to transfer to a new software, new server, new format, new look, new features, etc. But it’s the same old me.

While making these changes, I plan to re-post some of my favorite entries from former days. Please bear with me as I learn how to work this new system. This post comes from page 185 in my book A Dirty Old Man Goes Bad:

— Thanks, John

A 90-year-old Dying Man

My friend Ginger, a nurse in a major area hospital, often tends to dying patients. After her shift Tuesday morning, she called inviting me to breakfast. She’s run into a situation which upsets her.

The patient, a man in his mid 90s, was a preacher. He’s suffered a stroke with many medical complications. Heart problems. Kidney failure. Diabetes. And a host of other age related ailments. When he is lucid, he appears to be at peace and ready for death. As the Bible puts it, he is full of days and ready to be gathered to his fathers.

But his daughter insists on every possible medical intervention to keep him going.

This daughter, a deeply religious person, wants the hospital to get the old man well enough to travel. Then she plans can carry him to a faith-healing meeting conducted by one of the television preachers she watches. There, she feels, the old man will be cured.

The lady sits by her dying father’s bedside continually with a huge black Bible open in her lap. The room’s television blares out religious programming. And the lady loudly proclaims to any and all passers-by that she expects God to perform a miracle and heal her father.

Several things about this situation upset Ginger.

“John, she’s going to be devastated when the old man dies,” she said. “I think she’s going to just lose it and come apart.”

She thinks this lady feels so desperate for hope that she’s relying on religious fantasy instead of realistic faith.

Jesus never cured anybody of old age.

Ginger, a dedicated Christian who wants to live as a testimony to Christ among her coworkers, is also concerned about the effect this woman’s stance has on the hospital staff.

When skeptics see this Christian lady’s frantic clinging, how can they take what we Christians say about our belief in the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come?

Does our own behavior belie our own words?

This dear lady proclaims that she expects a miracle, for God to make a sick 90-year-old man healthy and young again.

Can God perform such a miracle?

Certainly.

Is that likely?

There’s a reason they’re called miracles.

Once I had a toothache. An abscessed tooth. I did not have money enough to see a dentist. I could not get into a charity clinic. I suffered and suffered and suffered.

I prayed for God to heal me, to ease my agony, to make my pain go away.

Nobody home in Heaven that week.

Finally I boiled a pair of pliers, rinsed my mouth out with alcohol and pulled my own tooth.

I do not recommend this.

Did my faith in a loving God fail?

Damn right it did!

Nothing like a good toothache to turn this particular Christian into a practicing atheist.

Why did God let me suffer in agony like that?

I have no idea.

I do know that He himself suffered anxiety:

“Father, if it is at all possible, let this cup pass from me…”

I do know that He himself felt abandoned in pain:

“My God! My God! Why hast Thou forsaken me?”

I do know that He himself cared about the family of the dying.

“Woman, behold thy son…”

I do know that the life Christ offers us is based on physical reality:

“I thirst.”

No fantasy about it.

Buried under dirt in a tomb for three days Christ — like a visitor to a hospital burn unit walking out with a validated parking ticket in hand — headed back Home.

He once said, “In my Father’s house are many mansions… I go to prepare a place for you so that where I am, there you may be also.”

I grieve for Ginger. This is the third big hit she’s taken this week.

I grieve for the lady clinging to her Dad because I think this is more about her than about him.

I wonder how much of my own faith is fantasy and how much is reality.

My experience teaches me to view the world as a pretty screwed up place, and it seems that Jesus holds that same view; He said he came to save the utterly lost in the worst possible situations (the incarnation did not take place in Disneyland).

But this world ain’t the whole show.

We live in a staging area.

Temporary quarters.

Transitional housing.

Dorm rooms for the semester.

Resurrection and Home lie ahead.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:57 AM

7 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Thank you for sharing this John...realistic faith not fantasy.

I really had problems watching TV healers cure people of deadly diseases when I could barely stand and was losing my hearing fast. I resented it.

I was once attending revival meetings while having very nasty dizzy spells. I did not go forward when the preacher invited sick people to gather up front. I felt God could heal me right there in my chair.

Actually He healed me sitting in the bus taking me home.
God is full of surprises.

Thank for the link to the article, but it does not work

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

John- this was right on. Thank you.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Dear Hohn, after ages I was able to open your blog, through Felisol 's comment box and on this post.

Any other way you page refuses to open. Are you changing the format?This one was easy to open and comment on.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Sorry I spelt your name wrong, poor light

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly feel for Ginger and dont know if this article was dated and whats since happened. I hope she is strong enough to handle it if her father moves to a higher plane. She will see him again. Maybe just maybe God will send out a Miracle we will all talk about for yrs. God Bless her heart for wanting to stop one of the saddest things in the world from happening.

In a way I think we need more Gingers, more people stepping out in faith whether it be religously based or spiritually based. People who do more praying and believing. Bible or no Bible. When I look at the condition of the earth and its inhabitants today I see people that really need to see more miracles, and I mean Big Miracles-
Perhaps they must all start in the heart of man which has lost its vision and which needs to learn to love unconditionally? Yes I myself know a 91 yr old in the same situation. I must share that I am hoping for a Miracle of the highest caliber. What a statement that would be for someone this age, in his last days to be spared and given another year. I too live in reality but I also know if we can be such devastating things happening in the world why shouldnt we be able to see Miracles on a grand scale?

Believe and you shall receive-

Kim

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Joy said...

Hi John, Glad you clicked over and read my blog. So nice of you to visit and comment. I blogging is hit and miss. I love it but its not on the top of the to-do list. I'm sure your nurse friend sees it all. How sad for that woman not being willing to let her father go to be with Jesus and know that is his cure. A new body with no pain or disease is ahead of him.
♥ Joy

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

As always I appreciate your down to earth approach to God and faith. I'm frequently surprised by what God does, so who knows- perhaps the old guy will get healed this side of heaven. But I hear what you're saying about fantasy faith. I frequently struggle with knowing the difference between trusting God and fantasy. In one of my favorite CS Lewis tales, The silver Chair, there's this part that kind of applies here:

""Look, friends," he said, holding out the shield towards them. "An hour ago it was black and without device; and now, this." The shield had turned bright as silver, and on it, redder than blood or cherries, was the figure of the Lion.

One light, the next one ahead, went out altogether. Then one behind them did the same. Then they were in absolute darkness.

"Courage, friends," came Prince Rilian's voice. "Whether we live or die Aslan will be our good lord."

"That's right, sir," said Puddleglum's voice. "And you must always remember there's one good thing about being trapped down here: It'll save funeral expenses."

That attitude of whether we live or die, He's our Lord, somehow I know that's where the balance is at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home