Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moving From Here To Where

Where am I headed?

And why am I in this hand-basket?

Yes, I’m moving ahead again. After a lull. After I finished editing and publishing William F. short’s 1854 Diary, I experienced a backlash, a letdown, which put me in a stupor—that is, more of a stupor than usual.

This always happens at the end of a difficult project. I go to afterburners to complete the task, and I fool myself into thinking I can maintain that pace permanently, then like a calf roped by a cowboy, or like a thief on the scaffold, I hit the end of my rope, and swing in the breeze, not going anywhere.

Short once said in a diary entry: “Today I thought much; did little”.

I can go him one better, “Today I thought little; did less”.

That describes many of my recent days.

After a lull, during which I kick myself for being a lazy, useless, sorry, no-account, I slowly recover and begin to function again on a low level until the mania for writing builds up steam and I start the process all over again.

And here’s the thing: during all this I’m a Christian seeking the will of God for my life from where I stand at the moment. Yet, I am victim to the cyclic effect of my own work habits and psyche. I know this letdown happens, but I fall for it every time. Some folks never learn.

So, at the moment, I’m moving in three similar directions:

First, off and on I continue to transcribe Barbara White’s prayer diaries—a long term task which is essentially clerical.

Second, my e-friend Sherri, who is knowledgeable about marketing, recently stimulated my thinking about promoting my books. Although I resist self-promotion, she pointed out the value of certain steps I can take—and she made a lot of sense. So, last week, when a newspaper reporter called, I agreed to an interview and was quoted in last Saturday’s paper.

See, Sherri, I do listen.

In the same vein as Sherri suggested, I’m investigating uploading 20 or so books into Google Books—a daunting task. I asked my son Donald, a computer whiz, to help me with this, but he’s deeply involved with more important projects.

Not only is Donald working full time as a computer network manager, being active in his church, supporting his family, and getting his daughter into college, but in a couple of weeks he enrolls in seminary to study becoming a Christian minister.

Full plate!

I’m proud of him.

But, his busyness means I’m on my own navigating the intricate shoals and rocks and PDFs and Java ™ Platform SE Binary and Co-Branded Search and APIs and spreadsheets and territorial rights and 10 or 13 character ISBNs with leading zeros and HTMLs (whatever they are) of Google’s complex process… Oh well, if God wants it done, I’ll get it done; if not, it’s all Donald’s fault.

Third, I’ve decided on which book idea to pursue next.

Years ago, I defaulted on a book contract to write a book about knowing the will of God. The working title of my book was to be If God Leads Me, Why Do I Run In Circles?

I took the publisher’s advance money and pocketed it. Then things came up. Disturbing things which made me realize that I know virtually nothing about the Lord or His will. I made many false starts and wasted hundreds of pages of text trying to write this book.

I just couldn’t.

The publisher exercised great patience again and again, moved deadlines several times, then gave up on me, and forgave my debt.

Yet, this book idea haunted me off and on for all these years.

After finishing the Short Diary, I made a list of some book ideas I want to do. Six of eight topped my list as I sought God’s will about what I’m to work on next. That defaulted book kept rising to the surface as I weighted pros and cons about my list.

While I pondered what to do, I did common everyday chores, mowed grass, cleaned the fish tank, read library books, washed dishes, watching the Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed video …. As I did these mundane things, a slow conviction grew that now is the time for me to finish writing If God Leads…

I know less about finding the will of God for my life than I did when I was cocksure and younger. In fact my faith wobbles like a kid’s spinning top running down. I feel less confidence than ever before in my life. Yet, I suspect If God Leads should be what I should write next.

Yes, I used to be indecisive. But now I’m not sure about that.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:36 AM

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

Good to hear your heart, and head.
I think the "let down" period makes perfect sense.

The new book sounds wonderful- I could co-write that one! (Just kidding) The title sounds like something we can all relate to. Which would then appeal to so many.

I'm glad you did take my advice,because you're too good to be kept a secret.

I have purchased your diary book yet, because I got laid off at work, and now Big AL has missed a week of work due to his wreck, so things have been a bit tight- but as soon as things let up, is will be my first purchase! Until then, I will help you in whatever way I can.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Felisol said...

Dear John C,
I'm relieved to learn that you already have help at hand.
You see; the Lord never let you walk in ring unless you need that extra tour.
I was going to refer you to a nice Israeli lady, Leora, who just invited people to learn about the things you mentioned.
I don't even remember the technical terms.
I think your Sherri will be the best though.

I also thought of you reading my best blog-friends post today.
She' telling stories about family life in Manitoba, where her dad was a firefighter at the airport.(military, I believe.) She also showed lots of pictures of an abandoned fire truck she found just the other week, visiting her beloved Manitoba.
here is her address in case you are interested.
http://teresaannegolden.blogspot.com/

Oh, I feel sure That the Almighty even taking time to count the hairs on your head, know exactly where He wants to lead you.

Another thing. Do you have burn nettles where you live.
You might want to gather a bouquet and make a pot of nettle tea. Drink one glass every day for awhile, and see if you are doing better.
I'm a sworn herb lady, and we have experienced the tea, preferably cold, is making us good.

Best wishes from Felisol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home