Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, August 30, 2009

I Question God

I have something important to say but I don’t know how to say it.

I’ve made a couple of starts on this post but deleted every one.

That’s because I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I need to think this through more.

I’ll try next week.

The question I’m worrying is why awful tragedies befall people, good people, bad people, indifferent people, guilty, innocent babies… If God is love, why do hateful things happen?

I don’t have an answer. Not one that satisfies me.

Only some isolated thoughts, and they seem ineffectual clichés .

Let me get back to you on this.

Meanwhile, Saturday morning Ginny and I enjoyed a lovely time in our garden. While working on the Google Books and William Short’s Diary, I neglected our yard shamefully. It was good to get out there again.

While Ginny re-potted flowers, I edged and mowed. Then we spent the rest of our workday sitting under the awning, sipping coffee, smoking and talking about other work we could do—if we were a-mind to.

Without moving from our chairs we watched a hummingbird, a woodpecker, scores of dove, cardinals, bluejays, titmice, chickadees, a thrush, a pair or wren, and a bunch of LGBs—that means little gray birds, meaning we don’t know what they are.

All so pleasant. All so lovely. All so peaceful.

Why did God let this happen to me?


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:09 AM

2 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

You ask what we all ponder- my only attempt at partially answering is He gives us our own free will- and apart from Him, evil abounds- but He will not force us to do His will and ways, and sadly, many will abuse that freedom He allows us as a part of His love, and evil takes over.

It's like we don't want Him interfering in every part of our lives- only keeping out the bad from harming us and those we love.

He can either completely control us and have a perfect world, or allow us to make our own decisions and exercise our free will.

I would still love to control my grown sons, but because I love them, I have to allow them some freedom. Some of their own decisions cause me and them pain, but they still would hate me if I controlled everything they did, even if it meant keeping them perfectly safe. They want their freedom. It comes with a price.

It still is hard to watch innocent suffer- I'll never truly get it.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Pete said...

It was a question that Jesus chose not to answer too. (Luke 13:1-9) That bothers me almost as much as the question itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home