Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, February 16, 2007

Whatever Happened To Tinkerbell?

Yes, I know I said I would not post again till next week, but I didn’t get up till 4:45 this morning and since I’ve already lost so much of my morning …

A church we sometimes attend distributes food to the poor.

The folks running the food pantry ask that each person in the congregation bring in nonperishable food items each week to stock the shelves.

Wednesday, when Ginny went to the grocery store, she bought several jars of Peter Pan Peanut Butter to give at this church.

Thursday morning when I read Google news, I saw the USDA recalled poisoned Peter Pan Peanut Butter with the code 2111 stamped on the lid.

Something contaminated this peanut butter causing hundreds of people to get sick and maybe even a few to die.

For those who don’t know, peanut butter is made by dumping shelled boiled peanuts into this big vat where happy barefoot peasants stomp the seeds into paste which is too think to drink…

No. No, that can’t be right — I have no idea how peanut butter is made!

I think they put the peanuts into a vat to boil, then into a masher and crunch them into paste which you spread on bread with jelly.

Or maybe they just use a blender..

Peanut butter is a vital ingredient in Nutty Buddy Bars, a health food bar which I snack on all the time. This could be a crisis.

I checked the jars Ginny had bought..

Sure enough, the code 2111 was imprinted there on each lid.

I looked closely at this one jar.

There, pressed against the inside of the glass, was this tiny gossamer wing.

Whatever happened to Tinkerbell?

Anyhow, when Ginny got up, I told her about the salmonella scare and that she could not poison poor people.

That’s just not Christian.

She had to take the offending peanut butter back to the store.

She complained about having to make another trip to the store.

I told her that she would not have to make this extra trip if she’d bought steak for the poor in the first place.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:32 AM

5 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

You saved the day by reading Google news!

I love peanut butter, too. With jam. Or banana. Or just on fresh bread. Sorry, am I making you hungry? ;)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Next time buy Jiff!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

You can't mean--Tink fell into the blender? C'mon everyone, clap your hands to get Tink back together again!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger aaronnssd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger aaronnssd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home