Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Listen To Your Heart

A couple of hours after I posted this journal yesterday, I shaved, showered, combed my hair, dressed and walked down to Bubba’s.

I felt more than a bit of trepidation because of what my neighbors told me yesterday about how the family was taking things and acting hostile.

Bubba and Dolly have scads of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, a huge extended family. Some of the grandchildren are the size of linebackers.

I feared that I might be walking into some belligerent confrontation.

I’d been told from several sources that the family had chased off some visitors and had threatened to come to blows with others. I’d been told that one lady had thrown a casserole in the face of the neighbor who brought it.

As I walked down the block, I feared that I just might get my ass kicked,

When I arrived the family welcomed me graciously with every possible courtesy. They could not have been any nicer to me. The rumors and gossip about belligerence proved to be a load of carp as far as I’m concerned.

I’m glad I listened to my heart about going instead of to what my neighbor had said.

As I walked down I had rehearsed possible Scripture verses that might be appropriate. Not being a preacher, little came to my mind.

In fact, nothing did.

I just knelt beside Bubba’s chair and we hugged and we both cried.

I sat outside with him smoking my pipe and while we talked someone his daughter identified as a “Bible Woman” called on the cell phone. Apparently she wanted Bubba to read a ton of Scripture references but he cut her off saying her, “My doctor tolt me not to read any Bible verses ‘cause he dudn’t want my blood pressure to get all excited up”.

I’m glad I’d forgotten any quotes I’d intended to work into the conversation.

I’m glad I listened to my own heart instead of to my neighbors or to my fear, or to my intellect.

The Spirit of our holy God is not limited in the ways He speaks to us — or through us.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:09 AM

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always try to listen to my heart. I wanted to say what a nice comment you made on my blog. It really made me smile and thank God for having a great husband:)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Karen said...

God continues to amaze and comfort me through your stories. Well done for sticking to the thing that knows you best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home