Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween Was Slower Than Expected

Last night fewer children showed up at our door for Halloween treats than ever before. I suppose Monday’s being a school night may have something to do with it, or maybe it’s just the general graying of our neighborhood. Or perhaps parents are fearful of letting kids go our; we do have one registered sexual predator living on our block.

However, we had a great time with the kids who did come. Ginny & I set up tables and chairs and candles and such out in the drive. Ginny cooked one of her special stews and we ate our supper under the stars and greeted the children as they arrived.

The low turnout means we will have plenty of gift packets for next year. We’ll remove the candy from the packets and find something or another to do with it :-)

But we’ll be all set for the first 50 or so kids next year.

Fortune comes to the prepared.

Ginny took the afternoon off work to drive me for an eye exam to get new glasses. I am really looking forward to being able to see better.

We stopped for lunch on the deck at Harpoon Louie’s where we lingered talking and watching a white crane spear shrimp in Fishweir Creek. We could get used to such fine living.

In the morning I did actually get a little work done formatting the next book, Strangers On The Earth, but an elderly couple from the neighborhood dropped by to chat for no apparent reason that I could discern. Neither can read or write which severely limits our conversations, but for some reason they just wanted to be with me for a while.

So all in all Halloween turned out to be a slow day; I hope Tuesday is even slower. That’s how I accomplish so much in life: I start slow, then I taper off.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:21 AM

5 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Start slow, then taper off.... Funny!
You may have to eat some of that left over candy.
Having dinner out on the driveway, enjoying seeing the kids in costume sounds like a nice evening.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that dinner under the stars sounds like a great time. It was well worth it, just for that:)

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Robin said...

We also noticed far fewer kids than last year -- of all ages! Hmmm...

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your appointment with dad was pleasant for you - he enjoyed it.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Career Guy said...

Hey, who wouldn't want to just spend time with you? Dinner under the stars sounded nice. Kathy and I also sat outside, and it was a great night, temps in the 50's. We didn't have dinner, though. I ate a bunch of Mustketeers before the kids could get at them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home