Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, October 30, 2005

We Get Ready For Halloween

After a leisurely two hour breakfast at Dave’s, Ginny & I put up our Halloween display. Usually we’d have had it up more in advance, but the rain and stuff from Hurricane Wilma discouraged us from setting up last week.

That little elf greets people at the foot of our drive and there are a few other ornaments but here’s a photo of how we set it up the main display, I’m especially proud of the bromeliad pods in the valley (they were my idea):

I’ve been thinking about the 23rd Psalm as we put together the display. Along with the Lord’s Prayer and Christmas readings, Psalm 23 is perhaps the one passage most familiar to people. “The Lord is my shepherd…” has been read at every funeral I’ve ever attended because the words offer such comfort “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me…”

The Psalmist acknowledges that bad things do happen: “Yes, when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”. Bad things happen to us because this is life that we’re living -- life in a twisted, fallen world. Bad things happen in the natural course of life. We are indeed few of days and full of troubles.

In his first letter, Peter said, “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal which comes upon you… knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world”.

In other words, some bad things are just the common lot of mankind everywhere.

Death happens. Disease happens. Divorce happens. Defects happen. Disaster happens. To everybody, everywhere, at some time or another.

That means we’re alive.

We are moving through bad things.

Yet the Psalmist distinguishes between bad and evil. Evil, I think, being the deliberate chosen actions of wicked creatures either physical or spiritual. Being finite they can only do us limited, finite, damage because the Lord walks with us – if we chose to let Him.

Jesus once said, “Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell”.

So death is as bad as it can get -- but it is limited.

Whereas life in His presence is unlimited, a banquet table prepared, a rod, a staff, an overflowing cup, a place to dwell , goodness and mercy – forever.

Will the kids who come to our house for candy think about all this stuff.

Bull!

Not a chance.

They come for the goodie bags. We’re trying not to disappoint them. Here’s a photo of the typical loot:


Ginny and I stuffed Ziploc bags full of goodies for the trick-or-treaters as we watched the Florida/Georgia game on tv.

Gators won.

Bulldogs lost.

God’s in His Heaven and all’s right with the world.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:47 AM

5 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

So am I weird if what I fear is the elf?

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I should have added why.

I'm afraid they might crawl up my pant leg and start clawing my face, that's all.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Relax Darlene.Our elf hardly ever does that more than once or twice a night.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger EveyQ said...

Those are some lucky kids coming to your house. But I bet some DO receive the message mixed in with all the sweets

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger G~ said...

Woah! Great idea! You've put a lot of work into things. Bravo!

Thankfully, we live on a rural road where no goblins come a-knockin' beggin' fer food! *whew!*

Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home