Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Turtle Thoughts


When I was in Junior High School, the teacher forced us to read an essay by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Here 50 years laterI still remember one phrase from that essay.

I think Emerson's point was that we think like we think because we are what we are.

He said, "All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle".

My big accomplishment, in fact, my only accomplishment, for Monday was to deliver Patricia’s turtles to their new home at Arden’s Restaurant.

When the other kids would come home from college, all they’d bring was their dirty laundry. In fact, Donald used to collect dirty clothes from all up and down his dorm hall to bring home for Ginny to wash – I suspect he charged his buddies a fee in this enterprise.

But Saturday Patricia showed up with her two enormous turtles. She’s raised these since they were tiny and not they are bigger than my desk dictionary. Because of her job troubles she has to drop our of school (for a time I hope) and because her apartment lease is up at the end of the month, she can’t keep the turtles any longer.

She made arrangements with the owner of Arden’s to take the varmints in, but since the restaurant was closed over the weekend, I’ve been chief turtle-keeper till today. Here is a photo of the turtles’ new home:


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:29 AM

7 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Sounds like you were having a 'slow' day.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Their home looks nice & comfortable, for turtles that is. You were a turtle sitter over the weekend. I guess you did a good job since they are still alive.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Robin said...

John, I really like that quote. I think I'll remember it for a long time.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Thanks so much for seeing the turtles off. They look like they have a pretty swanky new place there! I am very happy and relieved. Thanks again!

-Patti

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
By the way, I love the quote.

Love,
-Patti



"All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle."

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Ellen Sammy said...

Their bundle seemed to be reasonably priced. Every step of the way, all of us recognized many of us employed the best company agency website

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Nathan Alex said...

My big accomplishment, in fact, my only accomplishment, for Monday was to deliver Patricia’s turtles to their new home at Arden’s Restaurant.

When the other kids would come home from college, all they’d bring was their dirty laundry. In fact, Donald used to collect dirty clothes from all up and down his dorm hall to bring home for Ginny to wash – I suspect he charged his buddies a fee in this enterprise.

The Heller Approach

 

Post a Comment

<< Home