Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, September 25, 2005

A Little Tin Box

One morning last week I made myself a couple of new matchboxes.

As a pipe smoker I prefer wooden strike-anywhere matches. Pipe smoking carries an entire ritual of behavior patterns that add to the satisfaction and for me decorating match boxes is part of that ritual.

In recent years I have used the tin boxes that package Altoids peppermints. Friends and family save the tin boxes for me and every month or so, I fix a set of them up for my matches.

Usually I fix a batch of five matchboxes at a time: for the car, for my pocket, for my desk, for beside my reading lamp, and for the tv room.

Here’s how I do it:

First clean the box with a damp napkin then glue a striking surface to the bottom. For strikers I use either a scrap of sandpaper or the rough strip from the sides of a cardboard match package.

I trace the curved shape of the Altoids lid on a sheet of clear stiff plastic and use that as a template for my design. I place that clear template over a picture that suggests my mood at the moment and trace around it. Then I cut the picture out with scissors and glue it to the cover of the tin box

I keep a file folder of magazine clippings (National Geographic is a great source) of photos which appeal to me for box covers. I choose matchbox cover pictures to fit my mood, or relate to some writing project I’m working on, or touch on some holiday or event important to me. Usually I glue a photo of a bikini girl who strikes my fancy inside the box.

This photo shows some of the matchboxes I’ve used while working on the Glog manuscript.

Of course everyone knows that pipe smoking can be dangerous as you can see from this entry in my journal.

I suppose there are better ways to spend my time than pasting pictures on little tin boxes, but it keeps me off the street.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:54 AM

3 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You're a writer and you are into arts and crafts. I think that's great. I think it's great to have projects going on all the time. You're right; it keeps us out of trouble!

I had to enter my word verification twice. The w looked like two v's.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I read the story of your burn. Ouch!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Wow...they're gorgeous! I'm passing this along to my brother-in-law (Sacraments Wholesale) and my husband, both pipe smokers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home