Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, September 15, 2005

Last Of The Ramin

Wednesday I topped my house of cards with a chimney and sent the Glog manuscript to Donald so he can look out for computer problems within the text.

Last year a book posting bounced back to me because the printer’s computer said I had embedded a font.

Honest, I’ve never embedded a font in my whole life!

Donald straightened that problem out and now I ask him to check for problems before I send anything to the printer.

So much for Glog.

Back when we were poor, a primary food source for my family were ramin noodles. This food from India or China sells in a grocery store at seven packs for a dollar. That comes to less than 20 cents per meal.

No cheaper food can be found anywhere.

We ate lots of it.

Lots and lots of it.

Tons of the damn stuff.

Once when a check came in, Ginny bought some pork chops and fried them. Donald, who was about six at the time, did not know what to call them. He gobbled down his first one then asked, “Please, can I have another one of those hamburgers with a bone it”?

Yes, we ate cheap.

I ate so many Chinese noodles that I’m shaped like Buddha!

I ate so many ramin noodles that the thought of them would make me want to puke and I vowed that if I ever got to where I could afford real food, I’d never eat another ramin noodle as long as I lived.

Things changed. The kids grew up and went off to college. Ginny began working outside our home. We prospered. We could afford real food. American food.

I made a horrible discovery: I am addicted to ramin noodles!

They must sprinkle the noodles with opium.

Unless I eat lunch with one of my friends, I always cook a pack of ramin noodles for my lunch every day. I like the damn things now that I don’t have to eat them.

Now, we buy them by the case. And I cook them daily.

I love the taste and texture and ease of cooking. What else can you eat for lunch for less than 20 cents a day? And I love the helpful cooking instruction on the package which actually says:

To Lower Sodium Content, Add Less Salt!

I’m writing about this because yesterday I cooked the last pack in the cubboard We need to go to the grocery store and buy another case.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:10 AM

6 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Heather said...

My kids LOVE those things! We buy them by the case too!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Robin said...

You're not the only addict - I love ramen...ramen and spaghetti-os.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Cool Dad said...

Sad John, just sad. I have to say that the shrimp one is quite delicious, however, and I am having a difficult time faulting you. I am a big fan of Cup-O-Noodles as well. I think they top out at about 39 cents so you are still more frugal than I am.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I had the embedded font problem this year too. I found when I opened the file through the probram and not from explorer, it was fine. I spent about two days trying to solve that one. I layed the book out at work and saved it to disc, so when I got home, I tried to open the disc through explorer.

About the noodles, I love them with chopped green onions and veggies. Nothing says chinese food as well as 25 cents worth of starch, except the real stuff.

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
We must establish a ramen support group here. Like I said, they must sprinkle the things with opium at the factory to make us like the aweful things so much.

Hi Super Ninja Cat,
I'd describe myself as a just common, ordinary, garden variety Christian.

Years ago when I worked for a local newspaper, some of my editor friends teased me about being a rabid fundamentalist and I started signing my work that way.

Because way back then the Logicon computer system we used would only allow a three letter extention, the signature came out as RABID.FUN which gave me the idea of writing a a religious humor column. That's where the title of my web site and blog come from.

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Darlene,
Thanks for the tip about the embedded fonts. You obviously know a lot more about computers than I do. I'm really fortunate to have Geek children because once I write a piece they bail me out...

One night Donald and Eve were kibitizing behind me as I worked when my cursor froze.

They said, "Dad, pay attention to what you're doing".

So I hunchd closer to the monitor, but the cursor still would not move.

They started laughing and said, "Dad, look at what you are doing."

I stared intently and the screen, shoving the mouse here and there but the cursor still would not move.

The kids laughed harder and harder at my frustration...

Then they told me -- I was moving Donald's cell phone all over the mouse pad!

Hi tech, I ain't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home