Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I can't think of a clever title this early.

Up at 3 a.m. and checked e-mail to see if Donald finished the corrections to my Glog manuscript.

He's still working on it.

So I’m going back to bed in a few minutes.

I remember the frustration I felt when dealing with outside publishers in the past. It would take as long as 18 months between the time I wrote an article and getting the check.

They say that waiting is good for your soul.

They lie.

While I waited yesterday I felt stagnant but hesitated to begin a new project before Glog is published. I filled my time studying the line-by-line editing book.

The book offers handy tips such as:

Sometimes tightening provides a way out of stylistic infelicities”.

And

“You should have no trouble distinguishing legitimate uses from the periphrastic expressions that clutter virtually all writing”.

What are they talking about????

And this is a book which promises to make my writing clearer!

Here’s a funny memory… back in the late ‘70s or early ‘80s, a college text book quoted a section from an article I wrote to illustrate proper English grammar. What makes that so funny is that I never made above a C in any English class!

Another useful thing I did yesterday was to read the blog of Elizabeth Welch, a nurse who stayed working at a New Orleans hospital during Hurricane Katrina.

Wow!

The tv news doesn’t show the half of it.

This lady lived through Hell.

Her own experiences make for amazing reading and she provides photos and links to the blogs of other nurses who are in the same disaster.

When you get to her site, you have to scroll back to the days before the hurricane then follow her postings till this week. Her blog is well worth reading. The site is called “Nurse With A Little Bit Of Attitude” and the address is http://www.livejournal.com/users/auryn24/

So it’s 4:30 a.m. and I’m going to nap now.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:36 AM

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I hope you got in some good shut eye from 4:30 a.m. on...
Thanks for the link to the nurse's blog.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Glog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home