Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, September 30, 2005

The Birds & The Bees & The Dogs

I didn’t feel much like writing Thursday so I spent most of the day outside doing yard work.

I saw a species of bird which I’ve never noticed before. It was apparently building a nest in a hanging basket in our fig tree so I assume I’ll be seeing more of it in the future. I’ll dig out the bird books and identify it next time I see it. For now, I’d classify it as what ornithologists call an LGB.

That’s scientist jargon for a bird they can’t identify; it means Little General Bird.

In reading blogs yesterday I ran across the funniest cartoon at Moogie’s World:
This broke me up big time!

I suppose one reason this cartoon rang my bell is that recently Ginny has joined the ranks of millions and millions of other women who find me conspicuously resistible.

But, we won’t go there.

Except I’m perplexed as to how a Christian guy ought to handle this… Maybe I should try a new aftershave? Or maybe I should just shave, period.

Anyhow, speaking of dogs, today the library where our daughter is manager institutes a new program: Read To A Dog.

Yes, in this program kids who have trouble learning to read get to read a story book to a dog inside the library. The dogs in the program are service animals specially trained for this ministry.

The dog’s handler spreads a mat on the library floor where the kid and the dog sit for 15 minutes. The dog will not leave that mat. It will pay rapt attention to the kid reading to it. The dog never criticizes or complains; it acts delighted over the kid’s reading. So the kid’s self esteem and confidence grow quickly. The kid has an audience which approves and appreciates being read to --- And other kids drool with envy.

So far Jacksonville has only five of these dogs registered in the program but others are in training.

Our daughter’s branch is the first in the system to offer this program and Jacksonville’s mayor will be there today to launch the first session.




Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:07 AM

4 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

Thank you so much for the link. What a wonderful thing for you to do. I found the caroon funny as well. I'm so glad you visited my site. If it's ok with you I'll add you to my blogroll.

Hope to see you again soon.

PS: Most likely I would have to call all birds by the same name. I don't recognize most of them but love the fact that we have many that reside in our mutiple trees around our house. BTW..I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from you.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Funny cartoon, based on truth!

The kids reading to dogs program sounds like a winner. I reminds me of the pets for the elderly programs that some cities have.
I hope it catches on. It's good for the dogs as well as the kids.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, that is soo cool. I would totally take my kids to read to a dog at the library. They would love it!!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Heather said...

What a fun program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home