Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, August 12, 2005

Praying behind a mower

Mowed grass all day. Because of work on the pool, I’ve neglected the grass so it is thick and difficult to push the mower through. As I worked, occasionally I prayed for a woman I really dislike.

I prayed that God would do good things for her, keep her healthy, bring her financial prosperity, and give her peace. I still don’t like her. I don’t like her even a little bit. So no warm fuzzes accompany my prayers.

I prayed for her simply because Jesus said to pray for our enemies. Sometimes, I think Christianity consists of simply doing something (or not doing something) for no other reason than Jesus said so.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:38 AM

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I like this post, John. I used to beat myself up over the fact that when I prayed for my enemies, I still disliked them afterward. I thought it meant that no One was listening. I've grown up a bit since then, but it's still nice to hear you confirm my suspicions on the matter.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Maheen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home