Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thumbnails

Yesterday someone had asked me for help, but they did not show up to get it.

That missed appointment freed me to work on turning my 22 print books into E-BOOKS to add to my online book catalog in addition to my hardcopy, real book print editions.

Same book text but in different formats.

Because I was not spending the time I’d expected to in helping, I’ve been able to expand my E-BOOK editions by another nine volumes.

I’ve never read an E-BOOK myself, but I’m told that people buy these things to read on their little machines, and I want to have them ready for the Christmas shopping season which starts next Friday… So I’ve really felt pressed for time. Problem is…

In my on-line book catalog, an e-book thumbnail looks to me exactly like a real-book thumbnail. How can buyers tell them apart?

I know.

I’ll make a different thumbnail. One with a little gold seal on the book cover saying, this is not a real book but an E-BOOK.

I’m proud to announce that John Cowart, King Of The Geriatric Computer Geeks, solved this knotty problem with my usual hi-tech skills.

All I needed were Ginny’s nail scissors, a paper oval, tweezers, something with my Bluefish Books logo, a glue stick, a post-it note, 22 books covers, and a pack of cigarettes.

So, I printed out a smallified Bluefish Books logo. Using Ginny’s nail scissors, the kind with a curved blade, I cut it into a perfect oval. I unraveled a pack of Ginny’s cigarettes so I could take out the gold-foil lining. I glued the little paper oval to the foil from the back, then traced a bigger oval around the little oval. Then I—am I boring you with all this hi-tech computer jargon?

All I needed to make was 22 of these shiny seals for my book covers…

Problem is I can’t cut ovals.

Can’t cut along the traced lines.

I remember back when I was in the first grade, my teacher, Miss. Ink… midway through my first grade something happened to Miss. Ink and her name changed to Mrs. Skeleton. That was a shame because Ink was so much easier to spell than Skeleton… Anyhow, Miss. Ink whacked my fingers with a ruler because I could not cut out the mimeographed figure of this purple pumpkin. I could not stay on the lines and she checked the scraps to see if there was any purple showing and to hide my scraps I turned them face down on the desk but she turned them over, saw the purple where I cut outside the line and she whacked my fingers and fussed at me and I cried.

Anyhow, yesterday I needed to cut out 22 oval shapes and I couldn’t.

Damn, Miss Ink/Skeleton anyhow!!! She was supposed to teach me not whack my fingers. If I had ever learned to cut pumpkins, then ovals would be a snap.

Being a hi-tech genesis, albeit a clumsy one, I figured out a way to transfer the one seal I did manage to cut into a mostly oval shape from one book cover to another.

What I did was I folded a post-it note into eight little folds, sticky-side out and stuck it to the back of the one foil oval. Then I could use the tweezers to peel it off and move it to another book cover.

Damn but I’m cleaver.

So I stuck my shiny oval Bluefish Books seal onto the front cover of a book and scanned the whole cover in anew. Because of the bright light of the scanner, the gold foil reflects down and comes out scanned looking gray… but people who buy E-BOOKS should be computer literate enough to see that this is an E-BOOK not a real book that they are buying.

When they buy an E-BOOK, they get it in-hand immediately. Since production costs are lower the price is cheaper. And there are no shipping and handling fees to pay, so you save more money that way.

Here is a scanned copy of one of my book covers with a shiny seal to prove that it is an E-Book, not a real book:


I still have a bunch of these thumbnail thingies to make, but I think I can have all 22 E-BOOKS available on line in my catalog at www.bluefishbooks.info by tomorrow night.

The 22 E-BOOKs are added at the tail end of my catalog. The same book in print editions, I put at the top of the catalogue listings.

Oh, by the way, the person who had asked my help, said she wanted “to pick my brain about preparing her books for publication”. Alas, She could have learned so much about writing and publishing from me. Always glad to share my expertise with young writers.

I’m proud of my technical ability in preparing these E-BOOKS for publication. I keep abreast of the latest technological developments. Stephen King must be able to cut out ovals quicker than I can because he has a lot of such E-BOOKS available on line. I’m trying to catch up with him as America’s best-selling author, so if you see him—hide his nail scissors.



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:41 AM

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Well, Mr. Cowart, your work looks pretty good. I spent almost thirty years in the graphic arts industry. Before the advent of computer graphics, this is exactly the kind of thing we did to create logos and such. It really looks good.

For the information of your potential buyers, I want to relate something comical that pertains to your books:
I came across a quote from Nora Joyce to her husband, James. "Why don't you write books people can read?" In contrast, I find your writing and style very readable.
Blessings on your efforts.
Wes

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Felisol said...

Dear John C,
I now understand really how far behind Norway was to the rest of the free world before we found that oil in the North Sea.
I didn't know how to use a spirit duplicator until I was working as a teacher in the early seventies.
We made class papers and the kids had a lot of fun.
Children with concentration and spelling problems made their own jokes & drawings to their schoolmates' great admiration.

You had more advanced technology, but meaner teachers.
We were protected by law, and also had enthusiastic teachers, who had gone to jail during the war, refusing to teach nazi propaganda.

I remember having problems when we started writng with pen and ink in second grade. Only got a silver star instead of a gold one for my achievements.

I was not harmed by that. I never scored high in copybook writing, through faults of my own.
Then I never had to worry about any punishment either.

I think your new E- Book layout is good. Shame on miss Ink/Skeleton for harming a young soul!

I can see that I'm getting old. I love your elaborate paperbacks. Your "Glog" is laying on my kitchen table ready for use whenever I want. I fell in love with it because of the cover, the illuminated Irish letter G.

The content is even better than its look.

For a month we have trawled shops and internet to purchase new bookshelves. Our horn of plenty was running over. People don't seem to store books in their homes anymore. Huge frames to display objects d'arts were all we could find. Until one old book keeper offered to order some plain shelve for us.

At times I feel too old for this planet.
I'm no geek whatsoever. I like something and some values to remain undisturbed.
I'm glad you've kept the old sink tub. They are sold as antiques these days. I like to think I'm in the antique age. That makes me feel a little more precious.
From Felisol

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

I remember reading The Gravedigger 's Christmas, its a moving story.



Your friend Dave did a very good job with the picture restoration.

Pray Ginny 's Mom is getting better.

I am your son John 's friend on Face Book.

Happy thangsgiving to the Cowart Clan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home