Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Monday, November 23, 2009

We Received A Kindness From Davy

As soon as we got back from vacation out in the woods where there was no cell phone service, we learned that Ginny’s 86-year-old mother had been seriously ill.

Three different hospitals in two weeks.

She returned home with a pacemaker and appears to be recovering nicely now.

Much loved, her being down generated much prayer, much concern, and a flurry of long distance phone calls. Her seven children live across the U.S. Scattered between California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Oregon, and Virginia. Reams of e-mails and replies between brothers and sisters burned up the airways.

In the midst of all that inbox activity, I received a special kind missive from a stranger in Scotland, a man I had never even heard of before. All his e-mail said was “Repaired with my compliments. Davy from Scotland”.. Attached were several restored family photographs.

Back on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 Treasured Photographs I posted a blog entry about some old family Danny, one of Ginny’s younger brothers, sent to us. Here’s a copy of one of the ones I posted:

Out of the blue, David Wilson, the gentleman in Scotland, picked out several of these old family photographs from my site, and beautifully restored them. He did this out of the goodness of his heart.

Here’s the same photo after Mr. Wilson fixed it:


I hesitate to say just how old this antique photo is, but my wife is the smallest person in the picture; her mother, Alva, stands in the back row on the left.

What a nice surprise this gift from a stranger was, especially coming in a time of family crisis.

I replied to his e-mail: “Thanks Davy. The photos are from my wife's family I'll show these to her. Your unexpected gift comes at just the right time. Ginny's father died last summer and her mother is seriously ill in a hospital this week. Perhaps the Lord directed your timing. Thanks again!”

David Wilson (at dw010f4707@blueyonder.co.uk) replied, “John, if you have any more old or new photos that need some tender loving care just email them to me and i will do my best. I do this sort of thing for fun, i hate to see old photos that have been through the wars. Most are easily fixed and bring a smile to someone’s face at no cost. Davy.”

I am really touched by his kindness from across the world.

Thank you, Davy.

In a different vein…

As Ginny shopped for groceries this morning, I sat on a bench outside the store watching pretty girls wag by and praying. If these activities seem inconsistent, they are, and I am. The most consistent thing about my Christian life is that I’m inconsistent.

Anyhow, aggressive drivers intent on holiday shopping squealed through the parking lot vying for close parking spots in the rain. Saw several near-accidents.

An elderly man pushed a shopping card down a lane; it supported him as he pushed it. Through puddles.

A Ford Expedition wheeled from one lane to another. The driver, I’d guess a vice-president type, brooked no interference as he drove, window down, CD blaring.

The tottering old man blocked his way. The driver shoved forward and forced the old guy to step back into a puddle. Way clear the Ford zipped into a parking space…

And as he did, several bills of money blew out of the driver’s side back window. I could not see the denominations but it looked to be three bills. Unaware, the driver jumped from his car and marched (looked like that executive stride they teach up-and-comers ) toward the store.

The old man let him stride. Then he bent painfully over and picked up the cash. For one moment I thought he was going to call the asshole back and tell him he’d dropped the money. I could see the wheels turning in his brain. On mature reflection he let the guy stride away. He folded the money and stuck it in his shirt pocket and kept pushing his cart through the rain toward the store.

When I told Ginny about the incident, she said, “He was just conducting an exercise in justice”.

God bless the old guy.

As my Aunt Hazel, God rest her, once told me, “Youth and skill is never a match for old age and treachery”.



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 3:32 AM

1 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Felisol said...

Dear John C,
I am convinced that God works without stop to care for and protect us after his promises.
The pictures from that unknown, but
bighearted man in England was undoubtedly sent in the Lord's time. The old man..how I'm happy for him. Money blowing out from the backseat of a car. This just happens on TV. And, yes, I do fancy "Touched by an angle", even if it's not the proper theology.
From Felisol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home