Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, March 20, 2009

Stiffs And Resurrection

As I age, the quality of junk mail delivered to my home changes.

Used to be, every Spring Victoria’s Secret mailed me their lingerie catalogue (always addressed to J.W. Cowart, never to John Cowart).

Now, I get junk mail promoting Medicare supplement insurance, retirement communities with assisted living facilities, and special offers on cemetery plots.

Yesterday the mailman handed me a letter from a funeral home trying to sell me—this is what the envelope said—FREE, PRE-PAID CREAMATION.

How can it be free if I have to pre-pay for it?

Funny, but this coincides with a book I’m re-reading this week: Stiff by Mary Roach (W.W. Norton & Co., N.Y. c.2003). The subtitle of Ms Roach’s humorous book is The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers. With a light, sympathetic, touch the book examines what happens to dead bodies—fascinating. Back on April 6, 2006, I wrote about my own happy stint years ago as a security guard in a morgue. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I found that a beautiful experience.

Ms Roach explains that of the remains of whole body organ donors 80% are used in anatomy labs to enable student physicians to learn how to treat and cure living patients. But first all salvageable parts are used for transplants. My little brother has survived for over five extra years now because someone donated healthy lungs for his transplant.

Thank you donor family.

But, Ms Roach’s book also reveals that some cadavers are used as crash test dummies to teach rescue workers how best to help those injured in automobile accidents or airplane crashes. Some bodies get tied to posts and shot so police or military personnel can observe effects of gunshot wounds. Some of us will end up on “body farms” where forensic pathologists learn the stages of decomposition under various conditions; they study how insects, worms, .and fly larvae do their work.

All of us end up somewhere.

It is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment.

Years ago Ginny and I both signed up as whole-body organ donors. Now, at my age, I doubt they can harvest many usable parts, but I like to think I’ll be helpful to someone even after my death.

No rush, mind you; but no fear either.

I love the declaration of the Patriarch Job who said,

I know that my Redeemer liveth,

And that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

And though after my skin, worms destroy this body,

Yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Whom I shall see for myself,

And mine eyes shall behold, and not another;

Though my reins be consumed within me.

Isn’t that terrific?

Of course, while we can’t avoid death, we should avoid and alleviate pain in ourselves and others whenever possible. That’s only common sense. If Gethsemane teaches nothing else, it showed that Jesus was not a masochist enamored of pain. He went to suffer on the cross for us knowing full well that it meant physical suffering.

Somebody important, I forget just who, said, “The whole business of the Christian is to get ready to die”. This has nothing to do with acting stoic. The Christian is to face death, and life too for that matter, not with stoicism but with confidence.

Confidence?

But isn’t death tragic? Sad?. Shouldn’t we mourn? And cry? And feel loss? Grieve? Show respect for our dead?

Certainly.

Christ Himself, even knowing all there is to know about future resurrection, wept and mourned at the tomb of Lazarus.

Yes, Jesus knew Job’s words. Yes, He knew a miracle was at hand. Yet He grieved.

Isaiah called Him, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.

Jesus never soft-peddled the tragedy of death.

Yet He knew more.

He said,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; and hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Cremated by fire, buried in the ground, crumbled into dust, aborted in the womb, abandoned in a landfill, used as a crash test dummy, eaten by sharks—doesn’t matter. Even the sea will give up her dead. Restored, reassembled, revived, we shall rise.

Everything that makes you you, everything that makes me me, when we hear that Voice which we’ve yearned to hear all our lives, we will shake off our slumber and leap toward Him. All of us together from the dawn of history to the generations in the future, from all the families of the earth, out of every tongue and tribe and kindred and nation, from the north and the south and the east and the west, we will surge toward Him like the eager crowd pouring into a stadium for a concert.

Leaping and shouting and praising God we will rise giving honor to Christ the first fruits of the grave. Our Lamb has conquered, Him will we follow.

Faces glowing with anticipation, we shall see Him and we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is. No more of this through a glass darkly business, then we’ll see Him face to face.

The Desire of nations, the desire of thy heart—face to face!

Can it get any better than that?

Yes!

On the night before He was crucified, Jesus said:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.

I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you,

I will come again, and receive you unto myself;

That where I am, there ye may be also.

I find that thrilling!

They arrested Him that same night He said that. Crucified Him the next day. Buried His cadaver in a tomb. Three cold stiff days. Then the Prince of Life burst forth alive. Went back to where He had come from—prepare a place for you…that where I am, ye may be also.

We have so much to look forward to!

As the Scripture says, “As it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him”.

That’s wonderful!

Unless, of course, you’ve made some other commitment.

Then, we’re talking about an altogether different ball game.

Heaven is, but Heaven’s not all there is.

As Saint Paul told Timothy, Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men, they follow after”.

Be that as it may, for all of us the grand adventure lies ahead.

We’re moving in that direction already.

Nevertheless, I think I’ll pass on that special offer for a free, pre-paid, mail-order cremation. I think it’s one of those bulk mail senile senior specials where they’re just after my money.

P.S.: Speaking of senior specials—Victoria, if you’re reading this, I’m only 69 years old. I’m still interested. No need to stop mailing me your secret catalogue yet. Just remember it’s J.W. Cowart, not John—I wouldn’t want our mailman to get the wrong idea.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:39 AM

9 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Good cadavery post but ended so well.
Miss Roach researched well, no wonder she Miss ROACH.

The deed 's done, check my blog.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Hi Amrita,
What a nice thing you've done!

That's a beautiful picture of Ginny you posted on your site; now her beauty shines in India too. I'm so tickled.

The book on prayer has been re-issued under the title "I'm Confused About Prayer" at www.bluefishbooks.info

Thank you so much for telling folks in India, and all your readers throughout the world, about the book. I'm honored.

John

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Also Amrita, I was so surprised to learn that lady in Canada who comments on your blog has already read the book on prayer. That blows me away and I would never have know about it without your posting.

Thanks again,
John

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Crown of Beauty said...

Hi! I'm here at the invitation of Amrita who is also a blog friend of mine.

I loved reading this post, and the others before it, as well! You were able to go off on many paths starting with Victoria's Secret to the pre-paid cremation offer, to suffering with a purpose, crucifixion, heaven, and insinuations of a life outside of heaven, and finally back to Victoria's secret.

What a creative way of getting deep theology across readers of your blog without sounding religious!

I'd love to buy a copy of one of your books, and it would be an honor to get a photo of my dogs posted on your blog! I'll visit your book website and let you know when I've finalized a sale.

Glad to have "met" you!

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Felisol said...

Dear John C,
Thanks for sharing your well reflected relations to life and death.
Your balanced security sure is contagious.
Yet " no one is that old, he doesn't believe he'll get one year elder," Goethe wrote.
My love for life is mostly what keeps me going.
My mother (84) said, "we were mostly elderly at the Blue Cross meeting, but the real old are dead now."
She referred to a lady of 92.
I love the optimistic wat perspective changes..with age.
Hope you'll get your VS catalog.
Bob Dylan was 64 when he did a commercial for Victoria's Secret.
Had it not been for that, I'd still would not have know the name of this American firm.
From Felisol

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Nice reminders of what this season is all about, John. I was a little down this weekend, but after reading about cadavers and their uses, I feel so much better. ;}

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Debra said...

Good morning John and thanks for dropping by. I had visited your site earlier, by way of Amrita's blog and have enjoyed reading some of your writings. I will checking back! Have a wonderful and blessed day!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi John:)

Greetings!

I chuckled when you said that when you were young you were getting catalogues from Victoria’s secret and now you are getting concession on cemetery plots and then the most absurd thing is that you are getting prepaid cremation free of charge. I think the recession in America is so bad that marketing and sales people are desperate to make some money by hook or by crook. They are not in the least concerned about human feelings or sensitivity.

As for cadavers what Ms Roach said is an eye opener. In Kochi they displayed a cadaver in a medical exhibition and the public had to pay to see the cadaver.

I was inspired by your various quotes of Jesus and what HE did to give us eternal life.

Your concluding lines were very hilarious.

Great post. Very erudite, truly inspirational, thought provoking and humorous.

Many, many thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment. I am delighted and honored.

Wish you and your family a wonderful day,
Joseph :)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

John, you left some funny comments on my blog today.

This was a great post, and I will say that I am a card carrying organ donor, a decision I made after my nephew was killed and his parents decided to donate anything that could be donated and still allow an open casket at the funeral.

They received a letter stating that two people in Illinois now enjoy the gift of sight because of their donation.

I don't think his organs were able to be donated, but the blessing of knowing that a part of him that we loved so, lives on as a gift to another is very comforting. As were your words here today.

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home