Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, March 19, 2009

Literary Lion, or A Dirty Old Man Goes To The Dogs

All readers of great literature love dogs (and sometimes cats).

A few years ago my daughter, who is a librarian, promoted a Read To A Dog program at her library. This encouraged kids who are slow readers to sit on a mat with a dog and read a simple story aloud to the non-critical, non-threatening animal. Kids’ reading skills improved drastically in the low-pressure environment. The kids loved to read to such an appreciative audience.

Playing around yesterday, I offered that for anyone buying one of my books, I’d post a picture of their dog on my site. (See yesterday’s post if you want to get in on this).

My e-friend Amrita in India countered my offer saying that if I’d buy her dog, she’d post a photo of my books on her blog! What a hoot!

Amrita already owns a copy of my book I’m Confused About Prayer. So here I’ll post a photo of her dog; Sheeba has just chased a mongoose out of the house and has it cornered in the back garden:

The idea for posting of dog photos in relation to my books came about in a chance conversation with my friend Carol who owns copies of my books Glog and Crackers & Carpetbaggers. Here are her happy dogs in their baby stroller:

Last week, some Jacksonville firemen (sorry, I don’t know their names) bought nine copies of Heroes All, my history of the fire department. In honor of them, here is a photo of Lucky, a puppy rescued by firefighters from a fire at the Jacksonville Humane Society last year when over 200 other dogs died in the flames. The firefighters adopted Lucky as a mascot:

Another reader who already owns a copy of my fire history is Wendy. She and her husband, both firefighters, live in Texas. She contributed a chapter to my book. Here she is with her dog. I think it’s a border collie:

Brittany’s owner, here in Jacksonville, owns a copy of my book A Dirty Old Man Goes Bad. My book weigh more than the little dog:

Maybe a good title for my diary this year when I publish it next January would be A Dirty Old Man Goes To The Dogs.

Of course having great taste in literature does not mean a person has great taste in pets; EQ owns a copy of my novel The Lazarus Projects and many of my other books—along with this window full of cats:

Cat lovers, Donald and Helen, computer people, not only read my books, they designed several of my book covers themselves and they set up my on-line book catalogue for me. They also have copies of Barbara White’s Along The Way series of books (which I edited).

I tolerate cats, but this couple not only own books and cats, but they print pictures of their cats CC and Perl (named after computer programs) on the chest of tee shirts and actually wear them out in public.

There’s no accounting for taste in books or pets. Witnessed by the fact that whenever I visit Donald and Helen, their herd of cats ignore every fawning cat-lover in the room and come rub against me and want to sit in my lap.

Yes, cats love me. But they’re illiterate.



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:31 AM

6 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

This is such a fun post John.
My Sheeba is so proud being featured on such a prestigious blog -its like being on the cover of the Time magazine.

She is wagging her tail off in appreciation.

All the other poochies are so cute.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Amrita said...

Dear John, I will keep my promise. Tomorrow I will do this post.Its late night and I am kinda tired.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMRITA HAS A BEAUTIFUL DOG.

I'M INTERESTED IN THE PRAYER BOOK TOO, BUT I'LL HAVE TO WAIT TO GET BACK HOME TO ORDER IT.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Obat kencing sakit
Obat kencing tidak tuntas
mengapa kencing tidak tuntas
Obat kencing sakit dan tidak tuntas
Cara menyembuhkan penyakit kencing
kencing sakit dan tidak tuntas apa bisa diobati
Obat kemaluan pria gatal
obat pria kemaluan gatal
kemaluan pria gatal dan berair
Obat kemaluan pria gatal dan berair
air pada kemaluan pria
kemaluan pria gatal
Kemaluan pria gatal
obat gatal bernanah
gatal di bagian kemaluan
obat gatal kemluan
kemaluan gatal dan bernanah
nanah kemaluan gatal
kelamin pria keluar nanah
nanah keluar dari kelamin
obat kelamin pria keluar nanah
cara mengobati kemaluan pria keluar nanah
obat pria kelamin keluar nanah
pria kelamin keluar nanah

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Easymart said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Great work. This is informative and helpful to me. Dog prem
Thank you

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger picsbykris said...

I'd like to express my gratitude for writing such an informative piece on this blog. This article provided me with a variety of data. Continue to post. Dog photos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home