Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy News/Sad News


In the midst of my running around yesterday, I received the final test copy of Heroes All: A History Of Firefighting In Jacksonville, Florida. I scanned the text for errors. Then I completed the final steps for publication.

My book is now available at www.bluefishbooks.info

I’m elated.

To see the final published product after all those years of work pleases me.

As usual when I finish a book, I gave the first copy off the press to Ginny; on the title page. I inscribed it:

To Virginia, The Hottest Woman In Jacksonville!

She got such a laugh when she read that.

I’d taken that first copy to her office when I picked her up after work. To celebrate this major Cowart triumph, we drove out to dinner at Georgie’s BBQ, where, on Wednesdays, they offer a substantial price reduction—I call it our Decrepit Discount—for senior citizens….

Back on July 29th of 2007 (see my blog archives) I wrote about the loving care strangers lavished on Georgie’s manager when he had a heart attack while Ginny and I were in the restaurant. And, and on August 3rd ,I wrote about how a local radio station read a portion of my blog posting on the air.

After he recovered and came back to work, one of the waitresses showed him some of my diary postings including the one about his heart attack…I don’t know what he thought of it…I hope he read more than those two postings…

Well, last night as Ginny and I celebrated the happy news about my fire history book finally getting published, the cashier at Georgie’s told us that last week that manager took a gun out to Ponte Vedra Beach at sunset and killed himself…

Incidentally, last night our youngest daughter, the one who’d been in the traffic accident, called from downstate with interesting news; She will not be spending Christmas with us; her boyfriend is taking her up to North Carolina to meet his family over the holidays. That may prove interesting.

A newspaper story about the death of the restaurant manager can be found at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/101108/met_342692942.shtml



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 3:23 AM

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Congratulaions John for the publication of your newest book.

And sorry to hear about Ginny 's manager.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Oh gee that's sad about the restaurant manager. Apparently depression is reasonably common after a heart attack - I wonder if he was told that, and encouraged to admit if he was feeling down? What a tragedy.

But on a happier note..... your book looks fabulous!! Congratulations John.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Felisol said...

Dear John C,
life is just so weird and mixed as you describe it.
I am sorry for the man committing suicide after beating acute heart failure.
"Let no man pass judge," my father would always say in similar occasions.

I am so happy for you accomplishing your firefighter book. Making all the unknown heroes an epitaph; that's a victory in itself.
I am so fed up with all this negative media focus on dirty politics, wall-street swindlers, mass murders and cruel war.
About time some shun the light of the good people who make this world a better place.
Congratulations.
From Felisol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home