Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Monday, June 04, 2007

Unglued on Glue Day

Last week I dropped a favorite pipe on the sidewalk and broke off the stem.

Then there was the statue of the coal miner made out of genuine black coal, a souvenir of West Virginia, which one of the kids was handling (when I’d said not to) and broke.

And the two broken lamps, and the plastic dinosaur skeleton which I use as a pipe rack, and a garden light and a saucer and a cup with a broken handle. And on and on.

For weeks I’ve let all these broken things pile up on my workbench intending to fix them someday.

So Sunday afternoon, I cleared a work area and began gluing things back together. I make such a mess of things when I open a tube of glue that I get the stuff all over myself, on my clothes, in my hair, on my glasses.

I find it wise just to designate a Glue Day and get all my repair projects done at once. Sunday was Glue Day and I got to thinking…

About three or four weeks ago, a young lady whose life is going terribly wrong in a number of areas told me, “Everything’s broken, John. Everything’s broken”.

I had to agree with her.

Everything is broken. Look at the news. Look at your job. Look at traffic. Look at marriages all around. Look at politics. Look at law enforcement. Look at fraud in sports. Look at tv. Look at business. Look at education. Look at healthcare. …

Everything is broken.

We live in a fallen world that is still falling.

I wonder why hasn’t the whole world just come unglued?

What… … I can’t think of what to say…

Lost my train of thought.

Why did I start this journal entry?

Not a clue.

Hebrews 1:3 says that while He was nailed to the cross, Jesus was the “Upholding all things by the world of His power” in other words, He keeps us all from becoming unglued…

I don’t know where I’m going with this blog post. Too damn early to be profound…

I give up...



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:06 AM

3 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Deadmanshonda said...

I like the cartoon...and I think you touched on something profound here-- the fact that we haven't (entirely) become unglued.Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Yes we are living in a lost, broken floundering world or universe. Just get sick of the news and TV in general at times...and Bart Simpson starts to make sense.
Your cartoon makes me tell. Last night at 3 am when I went to use the toilet & a million ants stung my butt.I don 't know how they got there (maybe needed a watering hole)but perhaps I was looking for relief in the wrong place LOL

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leonard Cohen has a song lyric which says:

"there is a crack, a crack, in everything. that's how the light gets in."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home