Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Saturday, May 26, 2007

An Early Morning Conversation At The Cowarts

Got up at my usual 3 a.m. this morning and began work editing the Ward Diary. I ran into several places where the manuscript I’m working with transliterates Koine Greek words and phrases into English letters.

I feel my edition would be more authentic were I to restore such words and phrases back into the Greek alphabet which Ward used.

Went to my book shelf where I keep — Agh! Make that kept — my Greek Testament and grammar books. They are not there!

I did it myself.

Months (years?) ago I gave those book to somebody, perhaps a ministerial student, or maybe to Wes, or even to Donald.

I need my Berry’s Interlinear!

I need it now!

I do not remember enough Koine Greek to restore the Ward text without authoritative backup.

Who did I give those books to?

Gray and yellow cover for the Interlinear and the two volume set of Alfred’s Septuagint, green cover with no book jacket for the Nestle’s .Testament. I think I had a copy of Textus Receptus too. And a Greek/English dictionary in a red cover… I see the books vividly in my mind, but I can’t remember who I gave them too.

Ginny woke up at 5:30 and staggered out in to the kitchen for coffee.

As she poured, I explained my dilemma to her.

“I know,” I said. “I’ll call Donald and Wes and see if either one of them has a copy of Berry’s".

As I reached for the phone to call, Ginny said, “John, you can’t call people at 5:45 on a Saturday morning about a book. You just can’t”.

“I suppose you're right. They may not be up yet. What am I going to do about those transliterations? Where do you think I can get hold of an Interlinear?”

“I like chocolate,” she said.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:20 AM

6 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I have read it here before, but I still can't fully comprehend the idea that you get up at 3 am each day. When I was a Uni student, cramming for upcoming exams, I wouldn't go to BED until 3 am. Course, now I am up by 6 am most days, but still....3 am is just way too....dark!!

I guess I am a little dense, but why did Ginny say she likes chocolate? (was it - as opposed to 'Berry'?) Of course, whether or not I 'get it', I am fully in agreement.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Ginny and I are on the same wave length.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Amrita said...

Glad Donald and Wes were saved by the chocolate on a sat. morning

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Seeker said...

Nestle's.... mmmmmmmmmm.
Oh, it's a BOOK?

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Val said...

Rarely have I enjoyed so much a post AND the comments as one entity.
I suppose you're right. They may not be up yet.
Priceless! The chocolate comment was a typical bringing-him-back-to-reality female one. Hurrah for Ginny! I'm very impressed with your Greek knowledge btw, no matter how rusty.

As a retired librarian however I was immediately concerned for your overdue books and your lack of a loans system.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Battlerocker said...

I think I'm on my way to 3:00 am mornings. I used to make it to 7:00 routinely. Now getting up anytime after 6:00 is sleeping in. I haven't seen 8:00am from a bed in a very long time.

But I agree--you can't call about a book, or anything else for that matter, on a Saturday morning. I think it's a law.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home