Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Saturday, January 13, 2007

Lord God Of The Tedious

Zip. Zip. Whirr. Whirr. Flash. Flash. Zip. Zip. Whirr. Whirr. Flash. Flash. Zip. Zip. Whirr…

Friday, and the past couple of days, I spent scanning over 300 pages of those 17th Century puritan diaries I’ve mentioned before.

One page at a time.

Zip. Zip. Whirr. Whirr. Flash — with an occasional BUZZ!

My scanner times each pass with calculated precision. so that it gives me no time to do anything between a Zip and a Whirr. I can’t light my pipe, nor run to the bathroom, nor think a thought before it’s time to press the next button or flip to the next page.

Rote. Monotonous. Tedious. Routine work.

Then each page must be checked because I’m working from an edition printed in 1933 with many footnotes in tiny agate font and the scanner’s optical character recognition feature insists that an R in the original text is really a B, or maybe a K.

Besides that, while the puritan diarists may have been godly men, they could spell worth diddle squat! Maybe that why I feel such an affinity for them.

The repetitive motions of scanning text hurts my back, neck and arms. My eyes blur. My back aches. My mind wanders.

Who cares whether this job is done right or not?

Who is likely to read this stuff?

Why am I doing this?

Don’t I have more urgent things to do?

Doesn’t God have any better use for my talents?

Maybe not.

Beauty says that at least this job keeps me off the streets.

She says that may well be the Divine purpose for the whole project.

During smoke breaks I got to thinking about how often in Scripture God calls people doing rote, routine things.

Moses was minding his own business tending sheep when that Burning Bush appeared. So was David when the call came to him. Gideon’s mind was set on getting the harvest thrashed when the angel appeared out of the blue Mathew had his nose stuck in his accounting books when Jesus called him. .Peter, James and John mended nets with no thought of God at all when Jesus said, “Follow me”.

Often I feel disappointed that God does not allow me to do great things; He keeps me saddled with the low, tedious, routine, mundane. His kingdom is not made up of great people only. He is also Lord of us insignificant ones.

I’ve often wondered about “The Will Of God” for my life, and when I do, the thought always comes to me, “Do the obvious”.

Do the routine duty right before your eyes.

If you can’t change the world, change the baby!

As Jeremiah the prophet said to Baruch, an ambitious young man who aspired to be a prophet, “Seekest thou great things for thyself? Seek them not”.

God already has a replacement in mind to fill Billy Graham’s shoes. Understudies for Mother Teresa and Oprah are in the wings. Stephen King is already in place as God’s choice for a best selling writer.

According to an apocryphal writing (No. I do not place much stock at all in such things) Jesus once said, “When you hew the firewood, I am there. When you draw water from the well, I am with you. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there in the midst of them”.:

Brother Lawrence, a 17th Century monk, said that we are to do little things just for the love of God, that God does not count the greatness of a task so much as the love with which we do it.

When I sat down to write this blog post, I yearned to write my opinions about the Iraq war and President Bush’s speech the other night. I’ve had a bug in my ass about this issue for weeks. Nobody I hear on tv or radio voices the same opinion I hold.

But who needs another unfounded opinion about the war?

That is not my place.

There will always be wars and rumors of wars — but the end is not yet.

At the moment I have no special duty to advise the president on how things should be handled internationally (Although I don’t think I could do much worse than the advisors he already has).

No. My duty this moment is to make sure that’s really a B or a K instead of an R.

Why?

Because Jesus is Lord — even of the tedious.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:30 AM

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I'm so glad He is the Lord of even the tedious..that pretty much describes my life! It's the tedious that never gets notiriety, but is so necessary. The un-sung heros of every day life!!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I had the fortune to visit Salisbury Cathedral in England in 1999. I am not much of an outdoor tourist but I love old buildings. I'll probably post a longer story about this on my blog at some point but the gist of my thoughts were "wow, it took nearly 100 years to build this buidling."

Later I had a leprechan of a Cornish man lecture me on the fact that all the time and energy spent to build that building could have been spent actually helping people. It gave me some pause.

Except I wouldn't have cared about the place where lots of good stuff happened. I wouldn't have been in awe. But I was captivated by the fact that thousands of people, generations of believers or just tradesmen, did tedious work which still stands today as a fantastic monument both to God and to Man.

Digitizing the journal might be tedious and seem meaningless but you never know how many people will benefit from them in the future once you have done the hard work scanning and checking and rechecking.

Hey, isn't that how the Bible came to us - through tedious work done by scribes? Except that split wood thing by Timothy. Wasn't he the apostle who they ate in the mine? I get all mixed up.

Oh and email me your Iraq rant! I'm interesting in other opinions (and I too have been reluctant to comment about that on my blog).

Here's to tedious work!! And to getting bugs out of asses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home