Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, May 14, 2006

Yes, It's On Page 287

In my wife’s affections, I have been replaced by a duck.

Yes, Ginny dotes on the thing.

She has named the duck Matilda.

At dawn Ginny went outside to check on the duck’s well-being. All morning she watched the duck, fed the duck, pampered the duck, talked to the duck. All afternoon we shopped for the duck, buying just the right bowl, birdseed with cracked corn, and a small wading pool for the duck.

The duck, of course, hates me.

Yesterday, when the raccoon was grabbing tail feathers, the duck ran to me to save it and hid under my chair while I chased the vile beast off; today, the duck shies away from me, puffs up, hisses, and runs when I get too close — you know, it acts the same way I do with God. When a raccoon is clawing at my tail, I run to Him; danger past, I want Him to keep His distance.

Ginny loves this duck. She coos at it. Thank God we have no grandchildren yet or my beloved wife would loose it completely.

However, I am not jealous of a duck.

Don’t tell Ginny, but did you know that page 287 of Betty Crocker’s best-selling book mentions the phrase a’ l’orange?


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:01 AM

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Ileana said...

I had a goose once, but I never dressed it up or doted on it, only because it treated me the way Matilda treats you. He/she wasn't friendly at all. My father gave it away to one of his friends and a few weeks later when I asked the man's daughter how the goose was, she answered, "Delicious." I can laugh about it now, but I remember being so angry and hurt back then. They had eaten our pet!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Ha, ha
Heeeere, duckie, duckie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home