Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Wonderful Long Weekend

Ginny and I just took a long rainy weekend to get reacquainted and recharge our batteries. While the rain drizzled outside, we holed up in our home like bunnies in a burrow watching a string of 1950’s B-grade science fiction movies like Bloodtide, The Atomic Brain, The Transparent Man, Ro-Man Monster, and other equally distinguished films which we checked out of the library.

Saturday we dined at Yeshi Café. We’d never been to an Ethiopian restaurant. before so I explained to Ginny what to do if robbers held up the place while we were there.

She’s not a cosmopolitan sophisticate like I am so she didn’t know what you’re supposed to do.

At Yeshi Café the owner’s daughter explained that we were to eat with our fingers using torn-off pits of a huge pancake made of exotic flour to scoop up the stew. This is served without silverware on a huge platter set in the center of the table – think extra-large pizza without cheese on a base of sponge cake which absorbs the sauce and spices. Delicious!

Although the menu is printed in a squiggly alphabet, I quickly learned the names of the Ethiopian dishes. Baked chicken served with a hard-boiled egg in a yellow sauce of jalapeno peppers, curry, celery and onions – in the Ethiopian language that’s called Number 13. Other dishes have similar exotic names.

Seriously, Our dining experience at Yeshi Café proved exquisite. The décor is exotic, the waitress was helpful and charming, and the food tasty. Ginny and I walked out of the place saying, "O, we’ve got to bring so and so here”! or, "Wouldn't so and so enjoy this place?". We plan to add this to our regular list of places for our Friday Night Dates.

What? You mean you don’t know what to do about robbers either?

If you’re in an Ethiopian restaurant when the place is robbed, you obviously call a Coptic.

For some reason, Ginny says she’ll be glad to get back to work today.

The proof pages for A Dirty Old Man Goes Bad arrived from the printer yesterday. So I have my own work cut out for me this week.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:23 AM

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Lovely pun, John.

I actually ate at an Ethopian restaurant for the first time over my vacation in NYC. It was yummy enough, but for the pancake experience, I prefer Indian. I wonder who you call when that gets robbed?

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, Ethiopian... sounds like fun.

Glad you got the opportunity to have a long weekend, I'm sure it's set you up for a busy week.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just couldn’t depart your site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard information an individual provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back frequently in order to inspect new posts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home