Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Crabs In a Bucket

My friend Wes came over and drove me all over on various odd errands.

We enjoyed a long conversation with topics ranging from roofing problems to the translation of Hebrew words for various metals such as bronze, brass, iron & steel. I can’t imagine having such a conversation with anyone else I know.

Wes, who lives better than he believes, is quite a theologian and scholar; he places great store in biblical scholarship. He said that Bible-believing scientists, theologians, researchers and scholars tend to be more accurate and honest because they have an ethical imperative which gives them an edge on honesty.

On the other hand, I think all academics have deceitful hearts just like the rest of humanity and they can not be relied on for diddle squat.

Being smart does not make one honest. Computer virus attacks are not launched by dummy dorks but by really bright, knowledgeable geeks -- whose minds, while smart, are corupt.

I suspect that liberal scientists, researchers, scholars and theologians lie and cheat and steal to enhance their own reputation and garner grant money. They falsify lab test results, plagiarize, and distort facts. --- I see no difference when it comes to Bible-believing scholars. I suspect that they too have a theory to support and they too will distort facts, manipulate dates, and do whatever to enhance reputation, earn grant money, and justify their own theories.

Peas in a pod.

Crabs in a bucket; when one starts up the side, the others pull him back down.

I think there is little honesty among researchers, doctors, scholars, scientists, theologians or (speak for yourself, John) historians -- especially historians.

Don’t believe me? Try reading an account of a Civil War battle written by a Confederate general and an account of that same battle by a damnyankee general.

When I voiced my cheerful, optomistic, crabs-in-a-bucket world-view, Wes asked me what then do I actually believe?

I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, that He rose from death, and that He’d kinda like for us to behave till He comes back; everything else is peripheral intellectual froth.




My scholarly friend Wes
www.cowart.info

As WEs and I drove around town on errands, one stop included Chamblin's Bookmine (The store long featured a window sign declaring they sold: "Rare, Out-of-Print & Non-existent Books"!).. Ron Chamblin, owner of the store, said he plans to carry copies of my Jacksonville history book, Crackers & Carpetbaggers. So, this evening I told the group at the library they could buy copies at Chamblin's.

I think my lecture on Jacksonville history went well. The audience listened with intensity and paid rapt attention to my show & tell demonstrations.

But I am basically a shy person so public speaking leaves me utterly drained, practically quivering.

Well, Lord, what's next?


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:11 AM

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Robin said...

I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, that He rose from death, and that He’d kinda like for us to behave till He comes back; everything else is peripheral intellectual froth.

You have NO idea how this hit me, John. This is just such beautiful truth.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies, Your comments really give me a lift, Warm fuzzies. Thank you.

Robin, I'm so glad. I think God makes truth so deep the greatest minds can ponder it, and love so simple a retarded child can feel it. And yet, one size fits all. Wow. I'm impressed with that archipellego (sp) of love you made for your children.

Jaws, We're kindred spirits. One reason I write about such things is that I too try to dodge them. I'm a guy who reads the Bible looking for loopholes. Shakey beliefs are great; flowers shake as the pedals open to beauty.

I hope you find a drier place to live in SC when your family moves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home