Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Friday, February 18, 2005

Elk Horn Pipe

Donald came over bringing two exquisite gifts: First, he’d ordered, special made for me, a coffee mug featuring my Bluefish Books logo on one side and a reproduction of the Crackers & Carpetbaggers book cover on the other. I was flabbergasted! The other gift he’d picked up at the Waldo Flea Market. It is a tobacco pipe made from a huge elk antler; the craftsman has drilled in several places at odd angles to connect the bore with the bowl through the length and curvature of the antler. It is an astounding artifact.
However, when I loaded the bowl with tobacco and tried to smoke the thing, I choked on a distinct taste like burning hair! I’m not sure if an antler is an outgrowth of bone (the texture of the pipe looks like ossified tissue) or if it is a specialized hair follicle like a rhinoceros horn. Judging from appearance I’d say bone; judging from taste I’d say burning hair.
Nevertheless, regardless of the taste, this huge pipe is a treasure worthy. of Antiques Roadshow. It’s so grotesque, it’s beautiful. I don’t know for sure, but I imagine that I’m the first on my block to own one.
Donald guided me through computer intricacies related to the three Lulu books we’re about ready to offer via the website. I’d made a list of things I wanted to learn before he came over and we covered about half of them… Incidentally, Donald has developed a Task Juggler application software to keep track of what’s needed to finish various jobs. It sounds very helpful as I’m involved with a number of book projects simultaneously and he said he’d post it on his website so anyone who needs such a thing can pick it up.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 9:56 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home