Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, July 23, 2009

List Of 1901 Great Jacksonville Fire Dead

Yesterday a young woman e-mailed me requesting the names of the seven people who died in the 1901 Great Fire Of Jacksonville, Florida.

She said she can find no such list anywhere on the internet—I can fix that.

Last night Ginny and I drove downtown to the fire memorial at the foot of Market Street, the old ferry landing. We thought we’d once seen a plaque there listing the dead—but someone has removed it.

So we also checked the periodical room at the Main Library but my sight is now too poor to read microfilm anymore.

Of course, after all that running around, where should I find a list of 1901 Fire dead this morning, but on my own book shelves!

This list of those who died in the 1901 fire comes from Davis, T. Frederick. History Of Jacksonville Florida And Vicinity 1513 To 1924. © 1925; reprinted by San Marco Bookstore 1990. Page 226:

Henry D. Bounetheau
Mrs. Waddy Thompson
William Clark
Mrs. Solon Robinson
Mrs. Grace Bradley
March Haynes
and one unidentified person.

William Clark is the young man who died in the Market Street Horror while saving a number of other people; I wrote a little about him in my book Heroes All: A History Of Firefighting In Jacksonville.

But now there is a list of fire dead on the Internet.

After running around downtown chasing history, Ginny and I ate supper at the Jacksonville Landing. It being a Tuesday night, hardly anyone was there. We found a table outside on the balcony overlooking the river and enjoyed delicious Bourbon Chicken.

Not another person was up there.

We dined and smoked and sipped tea and held hands talking about books as we watched the lingering sunset over the St. Johns. Yachts, motorboats, sailboats, and tugboats pushing barges moved sedately over the river while sea gulls drifted on updrafts by the Blue Bridge.

Occasionally, other couples strolled by downstairs around the Landing’s fountain and across the river we watched the waters dance in the mighty Friendship Fountain on the Southbank.

A peaceful, luxurious, calm, romantic evening.

We could get used to living like this—but, alas, one of the books Ginny checked out of the library is titled Retiring On a Budget.

Do old folks really have to eat cat food?



Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:43 AM

3 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Seen as I have no other way of telling you... I've put a picture up of my changed engagement ring.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Sherri Murphy said...

Sounds like a beautiful evening- that is the way I enjoy my dinners best- near the water, without a crowd.

And to the cat food...JUST SAY NO!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I am also doing research on the Great Jacksonville Fire of 1901 and I figured I would add that the unknown victim was an African American man who was found in the river at Gardner's boatyard at the end of Market Street. His clothes were noted as burning so he plunged himself into the river for releif and drowned. I am not sure if this helps anyone but the book "The Great Fire of 1901" by Bill Foley and Wayne W. Wood is FANTASTIC! Hope this helped!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home