Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, January 15, 2009

Treading Water

I don’t know the name of the singer or the song.

But the other day Ginny tuned the car radio to some folk song where this guy in jail bemoaned his unfair treatment.

All he had done was shoot a deputy, he wailed, and that mean judge sentenced him to 99 years in jail. His cellmate comforted him saying it could have been worse; “He could have sentenced you to life”.

For some reason, not sure why, that song resonates with me.

While waiting for a manuscript’s proof pages to come back from the printer, I hesitate to start a new project till that one is finished, so I’m treading water between times. When the proofs return, I’ll correct them, then I’ll be ready to move on.

Meanwhile I spend my days moving Ginny’s dirt-eating plants inside out of the cold (yes, winter has finally come to Jacksonville) and reading murder mysteries.

In my devotional reading yesterday, I ran across an odd phrase about righteous people: “They shall still bring forth fruit in old age...to shew that the Lord is upright”.

That’s a nice thought.

I feel pretty dried up and withered myself.

However, I’ve still got it!

As Ginny and I enjoyed breakfast at Dave’s Diner, I pointed out a speck of burned crumb on my toast and told her it was a bug. As she leaned forward to see, I pretended to examine the speck more closely. “No, it’s not,” I said. “Insects have six legs,” I said biting into my toast, “This one only has three”.

She's crazy about me!

Don’t worry, Honey, we’ve only been married 40 years… It could have been for life.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 5:50 AM

1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Amrita said...

You are funny John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home