Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, May 08, 2008

Raking Gumballs & The Fish In Our Fig Tree

Wednesday I raked gumballs, pruned bushes and replaced the fish in our fig tree.

Thirteen tall sweetgum trees surround our back yard. They provide cooling shade for us and a haven for nesting birds. They make our back yard seem more secluded than it really is.

But they drop seed pods — Thousands upon thousands and tens of thousands of hard, sharp, spiky husks which I call gumballs. We dare not walk barefoot in the grass and even if anyone wears shoes, the gumballs turn underfoot and twist unwary ankles.

Here’s what a gumball looks like:

They need to be raked up.

So, yesterday I raked.

This trashcan contains three plastic bags of nothing but gumballs I raked up!

Raking gumballs puts me a step closer to finishing the outside work on our house which I began back on January 17th. Here is a photo of the rear deck. Notice the new rain gutters which my friend Rex is installing. Notice the fresh walls and crisp trim which I painted. Notice fountain I refurbished. Notice the deck I pressure washed. Notice the brick walk which I leveled (mostly):

Then I spent ages and anguish tearing down the old rusted metal storage shed to make this quiet nook for conversations. Yes, this is where the old shed used to be. Notice the faux white wishing well; it’s really just a pile of bricks salvaged from a 1901 building; they hide an electric junction box:

And here is a photo of the new shed I erected in a different corner of the yard where the salvia is just beginning to bloom:

Not many of our flowers have opened yet. Here, around the pool deck clusters of salvia, pregnant plant, firecracker aloe and flamingo plant just begin to flower, while on the deck red and yellow hibiscus open to the sun:

And, here at the entrance to our jungle path ruins of the Parthenon welcome visitors amid Wandering Jew Vine with tiny white flowers while the requisite Florida pink flamingo peeks from behind a flamingo plant:

One flower that has opened in full force is the aromatic white jasmine surrounding the wooden swing in a grotto inviting visitors to be still and rest:

I still don’t know what God wants me to do with my life from here on — “Be still and know that I am God”, I suspect — but meanwhile, I keep myself amused in our garden. For instance:

Our fig tree is beginning to put on.

This attracts birds.

They steal my figs.

I foil the marauders with this fish in our fig tree:

The fish is a gag gift from one of our children (sorry, I forgot which one). The fish contains a motion sensor. When a bird lands on a branch, the fish flaps his tail, snaps his jaws, and sings Down By The Riverside.

Terrifies the birds.

What a laugh to see them squawk!

That’ll teach ‘em to steal my figs!


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:47 AM

7 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Amrita said...

Love your garden photos. Real good and you worked so hard.

i like the fish idea. We had a fig tree from Israel but cut it down because of the birds.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a great idea! I'd love to sit in your garden and laugh at the birds!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I remember that fish!

The yard is looking good :)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Those fish are so annoying--I am impressed that you came up with a use for yours.

Thanks for the backyard tour. I just planted the pansies in our backyard in a sunny patch, and put in some kind of yellow coreopsis to add color to one flower bed. I'm skipping the petunias in the front yard, though, since watering and weeding may be too much this summer, as I deal with knee surgery. I feel like a real slacker compared to you!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Kezzie said...

I have a lobster on a plate that sings like that- it still amuses me!
The squirrels in our garden steal the figs from our tree- it's irritating- I wouldn't mind if they ate the whole thing, but they take one bite and throw the rest away. They aren't even ripe yet. '
By the way, your garden looks lovely!
Sorry, I haven't read your blog for over a year or so, and I was just browsing my archives and found a comment from you and remembered your blog! Always very thought-provoking!

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Michael Kros said...

Wow! It's really such a nice article about leaf rakes. Everything is very nicely explained in this article. Which is really helpful for the audience. All the best.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger aaronnssd said...

I read your post and got it quite informative. I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to. I would like to thank you for sharing this article here. Skip bin booking

 

Post a Comment

<< Home