Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Dazzling Smile Of God

Saturday morning I woke at 3 O’clock and posted my journal entry about getting Fancy on Friday. By 4 o’clock I lay on an air mattress in the pool looking into the pre-dawn sky for shooting stars.

Yes, the annual Perseid Meteor shower explodes today and tonight.

I expected to see something like this display from an 1833 engraving:

What I actually did see was two shooting stars — maybe. Perhaps all I saw was a glint of light reflected from the line in my bifocals. I prefer to think I saw two meteors.

The full moon dominated the sky with so much light the stars were nigh invisible.

So, the morning panned out as a bust for astronomy but it proved valuable in another way. You see as I floated in the pool watching the faint stars, I sang.

And I worshiped the Creator of stars and moon and me.

I sang in a low voice so as not to alarm the neighbor’s dogs but I sang half-remembered hymns of praise to the Lord God.

I floated on water and on thoughts of His majesty and love.

No one else in the world seemed awake. Just me and the Beautiful Lord Christ.

I sang that ancient, 7th Century Crusader hymn, Fairest Lord Jesus; and the recent hymn, How Great Thou Art; and a song I have never known the name of about an engineer’s worship while blasting rocks to build the Panama Canal.

As best I can remember that one goes:

Got any rivers you think are un-crossable?
Got any mountains you can not tunnel through?
God specializes in things thought impossible;
And He can do what no other power can do.

And I prayed. I know I’m not supposed to mention my prayers because that is one of the things Jesus commanded that we keep secret. So suffice it to say that I did not ask Christ for a single thing; I just appreciated Him and told Him that on some low level, I love Him.

And as I sang and prayed I thought about Judgment Day and I remembered this woman I saw once in the Post Office:

A line six or eight people long ahead of me stood waiting a turn at the window. Many more inched along behind me. Each of us minding our own business. Each of us carrying our own packages. Each of us shifting from foot to foot. Suddenly the clerk behind the counter shouted, “Oh, My God! Would you look at that!”.

As one, we all turned to look.

The most exquisite, gorgeous. woman I have ever seen, any person in the Post Office had ever seen, opened the glass door and stepped into the crowded lobby.

All conversation stopped. All business halted. A reverent hush settled over the place. And as she walked forward, the crowd parted before her, men and women moved aside and turned to face her like nobles making way for a queen.

She gave the tiniest of nods in modest acknowledgement for our adoration and proceeded unhindered to the counter. No one objected. Our line of people just stood on either side like an honor guard. I’ve never seen anything like that happen before or since.

But, here’s the oddest thing.

This regal woman looked in my direction and her face broke into a dazzling smile.

Dazzling!

Her smile radiated. It haunted. It glowed. It stunned me.

My spirit soared. This magnificent creature recognized me!

Then I realized that she was smiling at someone behind me, someone she knew.

Disappointment crushed me.

I saw her smile, it was aimed in my direction, but it was not for me.

I felt so ashamed at my mistaken presumption. That dazzling smile was not intended for me.

When she left the building conversations resumed, lines reformed. Life went on — but with something wonderful missing. I felt a sense of incredible loss.

Oddly enough, not once person mentioned what we had all seen and felt. Some things are just too important, too serious, to talk about.

Last night, as I floated in the pool below the stars, I recalled the opening chapters of the Bible where God smiled at His handiwork and pronounced it Good.

The thing He had done pleased Him.

Then I thought of that great and terrible day of the Lord when every person ever born will stand in resurrection before the throne of the Almighty and every single one of us will see Him smile.

We will see that dazzling holy smile of pleasure.

But some of us will realize that His smile of recognition is not for us; it is for someone behind us in the line. It is turned in our direction but passes right over our head and alights on someone else.

It could have been on us.

But it’s not.

Need any more horrid definition of Hell?

In the early days of U.S. history, in that 1883 meteor shower, some people panicked, thinking the falling stars signaled the end of the world. They confused the merely spectacular with the reality of judgment.

What a shame.

What are only a few falling stars compared to missing God’s smile?

I learned one important lesson during my dip in the pool — even when the day time temperature here in Jacksonville reaches 98, it’s still possible to freeze your ass at 4 a.m.!

Ginny woke at 6:15 as usual and she spent the first hours of her day coddling Fancy. That is one pampered bird. Ginny made kissy sounds and tried to teach the bird to talk. She wants it to say wimpy stuff like “Pretty Bird” and nonsense like that.

I hold higher aspirations for Fancy. I figure that a bird living in a writer’s living room should say something literary. I want Fancy to say:

Once upon a midnight dreary,
While I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore…”

If that bird is half as clever as Ginny thinks it is, then it should soon be able to recite all 18 stanzas of Poe’s Raven.

When I explained my idea to Ginny she laughed till she about fell out of her chair.

Of course the silly bird never says a word; it just chirps.

Guess how we spent the next five hours of our Saturday?

Shopping for a mirror and cuttlebone for Fancy’s cage! Yes, we searched two pet stores and a cosmetics store before finding just the right the mirror that suited Ginny for her bird.

She doesn’t spend that much time shopping for my birthday present!

But, since we had absolutely nothing else planned for today, we shopped for bird stuff and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It’s been a glorious Saturday.

I’m writing this journal entry about 2 a.m. Sunday morning. I’ve just been back outside to look for shooting stars again, but rain clouds hide the sky tonight.

I hunger to see the stars again and think about who created them. I hunger to recapture last night’s sense of wonder and worship. I just remembered that long ago I wrote a fluff piece about this kind of hunger once. Sometimes, most times in fact, I forget that we daily walk amid ordinary wonders.

Oh, by the way, earlier this evening the Jacksonville Jaguars won their first pre-season football game.

And, as sportscaster John Madden said, “One in a row is a streak”.

And on that giddy note, giddy John Cowart is going to bed.

Wake me if the stars fall.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:24 AM

7 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Robin said...

You reminded me of morning long ago when I would rise very early to spend some time in worship. I would grab a blanket and go sit on my porch swing. We would watch Him rise the sun together. It was so quiet and peaceful.
It wasn't long after those few brief weeks of time together that I remembered I'm not a morning person.
But your story reminded me that He's always awake.
I don't have the porch swing anymore, and I certainly don't need a blanket here in Florida, but I'm willing to bet I'll find Him just about anywhere I choose to sit. Thanks.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Army Wife Extraordinaire *~A.W.E.*~ said...

I wanted to thank you very much for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet message. That means a lot to me. Thank you.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Real Life in South Carolina said...

I would have liked to have watched the meteor shower, but the thought of laying flat on an air mattress in the pool doesn't work for me...I'm so big and clumsy right now, I probably would have fallen off the air mattress. Glad YOU shared the experience, I almost felt like I was there...but I wasn't freezing my ass off, so I knew I wasn't really there.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Tonya said...

Just visiting for the 1st time. Amazing how you can find such beautiful ways to give praise to God. Floating in a pool at 4am seems like a perfect idea of some alone time with God. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Seeker said...

You wear your spectacles in the swimming pool?

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I don't know how you stumbled on my blog, I like to think it was by Divine intervention!! Anyway, thanks for the kind words regarding caring for my mother, you'll never know how much they touched my heart. I loved reading your blog today..once again the old song, "got any rivers you think are uncrossable" boy did that bring back a flood of memories, I've been humming it since reading it. Your post made me laugh and made me cry..a sure sign of a good writer! Count me a frequent visitor!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Pat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home