Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Monday, May 29, 2006

Thinking About Indonesia

Over the weekend I’ve been thinking a lot about Indonesia.

Last year about this time (see May 26th and June 21st blog archives) a company in Indonesia published a translation of a little book I wrote on prayer.

The Indonesian publisher’s website is http://www.perkantas.org/literatur_nasional/

Before I got word about this translation, I could hardly find Indonesia on a map.

It’s about as far away from where I live as you can get and still be on this earth. Since the publisher first contacted me I have followed the fate of the people of this beautiful country daily in Google news and on tv.

The news has seldom been good.

In January, 2005, the tsunami struck killing 200,000 people in Indonesia.

In February, another earthquake killed another 9,000. Humanitarian relief workers have been shot as they tried to help.

An outbreak of polio killed over 50 children and crippled scores of others. A car bomb set off in a Christian market place killed 25 and mangled many others. Churches have been burned and Christians live in daily jeopardy.

Five teenaged Christian girls on their way to school were beheaded by a Muslim mob.

Another earthquake on March 28th, 2005 killed another 900 people.

In East Timor civil war erupted. What began as a schism within the military spilled over to the general population, which is divided on geographical lines of east and west, or those perceived to have been pro-Indonesian against those who wanted independence.

Rival gangs torched homes and battled with machetes for a third day yesterday. Fire across the city filled the sky with smoke, and the streets were strewn with smoldering debris while Black Hawk helicopters roared overhead. The United Nations evacuated personnel over the weekend.

Also, over this past weekend another seven people in a single family died of bird flu. All had earlier tested positive for the H5N1 virus in a local laboratory. Bird flu has now infected 48 people in Indonesia, 36 of whom died.

This morning’s news says another five people in Indonesia have tested positive.

Some of the bird flu victims avoided hospitals and sought help from alternative medical sources which news reports call witchdoctors. \

Indonesia has had three major bomb attacks in the past two years. Bombings at a Bali nightclub killed 202 people in 2002, a bombing outside the Australian Embassy in Jakarta in September killed nine people and a blast at the Marriott Hotel in the October left a dozen people dead.

All three attacks were blamed on an arm of al Qaeda.

This past Saturday morning another massive earthquake hit Indonesia. At least 5,000 people died instantly and over 20,000 injured people overran hospitals. Doctors and nurses flattened cardboard boxes on the ground in parking lots to use as hospital beds.

According to Google News, Rani Indrawati, from the village of Bagulon Kulon, said, “We’ve got no clean water, no food. No one has come to help us so we’re going to eat air to survive.”

Another survivor said, “We’re short of everything—clothes, food, water, all are gone. We are poor people, but our lives matter.”

In the midst of all that anguish and turmoil, I question how my little book fits.

The title of my book in Indonesian is Mengapa Doaku Tidak Dikabulkan.

I have no idea how to pronounce that.

In English, the title of the book is: Why Don’t I Get What I Pray For? Or, in a more recent edition, I’m Confused About Prayer. It is a frivolous religious humor book with hardly any redeeming social value.

Yet the translators and folks who produced the book over there have been through Hell to bring this bit of froth into print.

Over the years a number of bits and pieces of my work has been translated into various languages but none of the others have captured my attention as this one in Indonesian. Indonesia is, I think, the most populous Moslem nation on earth.

I’m not so vain as to think that people over there are sitting in the rubble reading copies of my book on prayer, but I do hope that my books is of some comfort to somebody there and that it may act as a protoevangelium to some person thinking about becoming a Christian.

I think about Indonesia a lot.

If you’re interested in buying a copy of the English edition of this book, I’m Confused About Prayer, go to www.lulu.com/bluefish ;-- If you can’t afford to buy a copy, look in the left-hand column of my website, http://www.cowart.info/ under the title Why Don’t I Get What I Pray For? And you can read it on line for free. --- Same book, different editions.

And, if you are inclined to pray for the troubled land of Indonesia, please ask the Lord to use this little book to honor Himself and to help troubled folks in pain.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:57 AM

4 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Saw a cool show from KO on extreme engineering. Indonesia is fascinating.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Seeker said...

I do pray God will bring many in that nation to Himself.
Would be neat if He used your book in the process.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Kezzie said...

I'm actually going to Bali in Indonesia next month. I was there for the bomb last time I was there. Yes things keep happening there don't they? Really glad I read this, as I was thinking I wish there was a particular book I could take about Christianity with me (will definitely look in the bookshops when I'm there, to see if I can find some copies). It's Hindu in Bali, though I met Christians. Please can you pray that I have the opportunity to share my faith with people there and sow some seeds. (Very hard in another language, though my Indonesian is ok!) I wasn't Christian when I lived there before. And any advice about how to, would be appreciated also!

By the way, you pronounce it like: Meng-aper Doh-ah-koo Ti-dack Dee-kah-bool-kan (emphasis on the last syllable)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Hi Kezzi,
Sorry I didn’t answer your comment immediately but I wanted to think about my answer a bit before jumping in with words.

I’m so surprised to see a comment from someone familiar with Indonesia! I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone from there before.

I have no idea how or why the Indonesian publisher picked my book on prayer to translate. I really feel honored.

I clicked on your blog and read every other month in your archives. How delightful! Exploring old buildings, feeding coots, reading Enid Blyton (hard to find her books over here anymore), and the lady reading over your shoulder as you were “laughing over Judges” on the train. Good stuff all.

Sorry, I’m not a music person so a lot of what you say is lost on me. My loss.

As to your question about how to witness: it sounds to me as though you are doing it already. The principle thing, I think, is to live as close to Jesus as possible yourself so that any words are the result of an overflow.

We should dwell on our own sins more than the other person’s; if you talk about what is bothering you most, you’re sure to resonate with other people.

I suspect our main job in witnessing is to act as attractors. If people see some hint of the living Christ in us, they may be drawn to Him.

I’m uncomfortable with the idea of viewing other people as targets which we must convert; the only difference between us and them is that we heard His call first.

We have nothing to be proud of.

Christ didn’t die for the winners of this world but for us losers. There is no glory in being so bad off, so stuck, so sin-filthy, so befuddled and lost that we had to be rescued — and that’s exactly what Christians are.

We are so bad off that it took God Himself to lift us out of the mire, no one less could do the job — and it killed Him before He got it done.

I’m beginning to pontificate here.

Forget what I said and follow your heart. He will lead you aright.

I hope you continue to post blog entries when you return to Bali. I look forward to hearing from you again.

I wish you joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home