Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just A Little Thing

A year or two ago a beautiful young lady moved into the house next door. Every morning I see her leave for work. Every evening I see her return. Each time she loads and unloads stuff from her car.

I am a member of our Neighborhood Crime Watch so it’s an official duty for me to watch what’s going on around me.

Ha!

Yesterday there was a power outage. Folks up and down the block clustered in front yards to talk about it. I ended up standing next to the girl next door.

After a bit she said she had to go back inside to see about the baby.

“What baby?” I asked.

Turns out she has a new baby.

“How long have you had this baby?” I asked.

“He was born in January,” she said.

In all that time I have never noticed her with a baby. I’d never noticed that she was pregnant. I have fed her dog and I have moved her trash can out of her drive when the garbage men left it in the middle — but I never noticed any baby.

Hey, it’s a little thing.

Little things are easy to miss.

You can’t expect me to see little things like that.

I keep my eye on the big picture along our block. I am alert and watchful… I just don’t know what’s going on around me.

That’s unusual.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 6:28 AM

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger The MacBean Gene said...

That's the way it is down there in the city. Up here in the mountains we know what's up with the neighbors, even if they live 10 miles away. A sneeze in Fancy Gap will be reported in Meadows of Dan some 20 miles away in a matter of minutes.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Maybe she .... (pause conspiratorily)...STOLE the baby. As a member of Neighborhood Watch, it is your duty to report this case of possible babynapping immediately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home