Rabid Fun

John Cowart's Daily Journal: A befuddled ordinary Christian looks for spiritual realities in day to day living.


Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Work Days

Recently I have focused on writing my history of the local fire department and I feel as though I’m working slower and slower.

It’s not that I’m dragging my feet; it just that I keep finding more and more things I want to include in this book.

In essence the book will be a history of Jacksonville told from the standpoint of how many times the place has burned down — or how many times our firefighters have saved it from burning down. The fires and hazards, disasters and near-disasters bookend the events shaping our daily lives.

My theme dwells on the heroism and professionalism of firemen, yet, to be historically accurate and honest, I have to include even internal squabbles, political intrigues, and just plain stupid actions.

And the more I work, the more work I find to do.

For instance, the main body of my text is up to the 1980s now but yesterday I ran across some more information about the 1888 Yellow Fever epidemic. So I’m bouncing back and forth over a hundred-year span blending it all together into a continuous narrative. (While at the same time inserting more information about some charitable actions of local firemen during the 1930s).

God! But I love what I’m doing!

I feel so much in my element when I’m writing this sort of thing, like I’m doing what I was created to do. I’m a squirrel gathering nuts, a beaver building dams, a bear catching salmon, — I’m doing what I was made to do.

And that is joy.

There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his labor which God has given him to do under the sun.

And, it gets even better. Ginny totally supports me in what I’m doing even though my books earn diddle-squat and sales sparse. Years ago we developed a live plan which would lead to the lifestyle we enjoy now and my work would not be possible without her.

That also is a joy.

Last night our daughter Eve invited us over for supper; she and Mark have their home in order (except for all those cats). She is loving her recent job change even though it brings in less money. She’s doing what she loves and I’m delighted for her.

Mark just earned a 5% bonus related to a perfect performance at his work; he’s what you’d describe as a brilliant young attorney.

And in after dinner conversation, Eve and Mark discussed with us ways to help me in my work. We talked over ideas I’d tried futilely years ago as well as exciting new methods of advancing my work and gaining a platform to speak from.

For their Christmas charity this year, apparently they are buying a cow for some family in a third world country.

I told them that if they bought me a cow, then I'd be able to sell my books bound in leather.

Eve said, "Ooooh, Daddy" like she always does on hearing one of my good ideas.

It’s really humbling to see these two young people express confidence that what I’m doing is worthwhile when I doubt that myself so often.

One idea Mark advanced is that I spend less time blogging. It is not unusual for me to spend three to ten hours writing a single blog posting (It’s something I do in the wee small hours of the night). Mark says I should limit my journal writing to 20 minutes tops.

He seemed shocked that I put so much time into this.

I’ll try to pay attention to his advice, but that will be hard…

I never know what I think until I write about it.


Please, visit my website for more www.cowart.info and feel free to look over and buy one of my books www.bluefishbooks.info
posted by John Cowart @ 4:05 AM

2 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I'm surprised to hear how long it takes you to write a blog post, too... only because your posts always sound so natural and off-the-cuff, as if you simply wrote for ten minutes and were done.

I read all your posts, so *thank you*.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger EveyQ said...

Not less time blogging..He was just expressing his style. Everyone has different ways of doing everything..even writing. I love your writing. Don't change that. I'm glad you all had a good time at dinner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home